Falling back in love with my Etys
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Spyro-

I use the "Electronic" eq setting on my iPod touch so what your doing is certainly not crazy. Nice to have the Ety's back right?

Hey Ibis99: Good idea. You are right. That is perhaps an even better ED setting as it provides a little more "air" in the treble.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #32 of 54
Spyro any chance you'll be doing a head to head between the Ety's and UM3x?

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a romantic phone is what I was getting at.
It's currently my favorite headphone becuase it isnt romantic about things.
It really lets you know when a recording is dry and just plain bad.

That makes sense. I know what you were saying now. It's just too bad so many others completely avoid the etys because they hear about how bad the bass is from people who've probably never tried them, and are missing out on the whole experience.

I think I'm falling back in love w/ etymotic as well
icon10.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*sigh* this thread makes me consider the ER4P. UM3X or ER4P? Oh, and I second what ibis99 said
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm telling you, if Ety would put an er4 driver into ano over the ear enclosure such as the westone's, that would be the be all end all iem for me.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 54
I use the Piano EQ on my iPod Video with my ER6s, I think it sounds best with pretty much all music I've tested it with.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone know anything about Etymotic releasing new earphones in the future? It seems like the Hf2/Hf5s have been out for quite a while at this stage...

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm telling you, if Ety would put an er4 driver into ano over the ear enclosure such as the westone's, that would be the be all end all iem for me.

That would make my decision easier, too, you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there's an app for that: A Pure Sound ER4 cable upgrade

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #41 of 54
I know the mod is possible, and I don't want to see a classic like the er4 changed, but part of me just wants to see etymotic design something new. I think they're a bit overdue.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 54
Like many others here, I wanted to try out the higher level iems such as the SE530, W3, UM3X, etc. but opted to try the highly regarded but much more economical ER4P. At first, using the orange sponges, the ER4P sounded exquisite but there was definitely a lack of powerful bass. Then, I remembered comments saying that how you fit the ER4P in your ear greatly determined the amount of low frequency sound. I exchanged the orange sponges with the grey tri-flanges and carefully inserted them in my ears as far as I could. I replayed the same tunes I had just tried and....... O M G !!! Whoever says that the ER4P lacks in bottom end have definitely not used them properly. The bass that I got was simply "awesome". I come from the Ultrasone sound (which is famous for its mind/body rattling quality power bass) and have used the "el-cheapo" Sennheiser CX300 and CX400 for a considerable amount of time, so I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to what high-quality bass and bloated/over-emphasized bass is. This pair of Etys was simply amazing... More than enough bass to satisfy my hunger for deep down lows.

Now, I have also purchased a P-to-S adapter and tried comparing them. Simply put, the amount of bass that you get from both style is almost exactly the same. The difference is in the highs where the S seem to give you further extension to the higher frequencies and, maybe because of this, I get a feeling that I am getting a generally much richer, smoother, silkier sound using the ER4S mode.

FYI, I have used my April Music Stello DP200 DAC/Preamp as fixed DAC and had its signal fed into my Little Dot MKV through pure silver interconnects. I used my Denon DVD-3910 as my redbook CD player and fed its digital signal via coax to my Stello DP200.

I am not used to giving reviews, so excuse my poor vocabulary and ways of expression. In any case, the ER4S/P is an amazing piece of art/technology which made me realize how iems can be great and can replace headphones SQ wise.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #43 of 54
Ah, the ER-4Ps !!!
Some listening sessions with them really defy any wordily description . It is as if CDs, players, amps, cables, headphones etc. everything just disappears and you are left in a silent hall with the musicians soulfully playing just for you !

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #44 of 54
im thinking about getting either the ety hf5 or e4p as a replacement for my pfe. is there any drastic improvement in the e4p that i should shell out the additional $50 or so to get over the hf5?

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #45 of 54
I think it's worth it. The ER4P "package" is much nicer, the cable quality seems much nicer. It seems like a higher quality offering. But the cable is about 2 feet too long.

SQ-wise, as has been widely dissected last week, this seems to be the consensus.

HF5 and ER4P SQ is very close. If you are going amped the 27 ohm ER4P is clearly superior. Unamped, it is much closer. HF5 sounds a bit smoother, not quite as articulate, a bit less dynamic range with more of a boxed in presentation but more efficient sounding. ER4P has more air in the treble, is a little more distant sounding in a good way, has atad more dynamice range but can sound like it is struggling to fully perform at times due to not enough power behind it.

I have recently used both and will keep the ER4P due to it being a more refined product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back