Fake Yuin PK2?
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

fleasbaby

Member of the Trade: Wabi Sabi Headphones
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a pair of Yuins and noticed the PK2 is being offered by a few Honk Kong retailers well below the prices offered by US sellers. Has anyone come across Yuin fakes before? I was thinking if its only ten bucks more for the PK2 at the cost of waiting a little longer for shipping I would go this route..if of course no one has seen fakes out there.

Thoughts, feelings?

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 20
...by well below I mean they want $49 instead of the usual $79...

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 20
To sell an inferior product to gullible audio nerds? Fair point though...and the brand is pretty obscure...its not like they are going to pull in tons of buyers as they would knocking off Sonys or Sennheisers. Maybe I'll take them up on the offer.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 20
I bought a cheap Yuin PK2 from a Chinese seller. I think it cost something like $55 with shipping to Sweden included. Everything appears to be okay. The box, small note with stamp of approval that the earbuds are okay etc... They also sound better than my PK3.

So I would say that it's okay. Just buy from a seller with good feedback (preferably over 99%).

Just like Chime Bells, I don't think that the people in China who make fake headphones are into making fakes of Chinese brands. They prefer Japanese, European or American brands. I mean, Audio Technica and Sennheiser must have had just about all of their headphones copied.
Domestic brands are just not interesting for these people since it's just us audio nerds that know about them...

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 20
I am just waiting for Amazon to refund me for a pair of Dunu Tridents (turns out I still hate shoving in ears into my ear canal...a shame given the sound was most delightful) and I will probably pull the trigger. I figure for the extra 15 bucks and a slightly longer shipping weight it would be nice to try the PK2 instead...

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 20
Pulled the trigger on the PK2 purchase today...can't wait...:)

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 20
No fake PK2.
PK1, funny stories. Some Chinese DIYers claim they have same elements, better cables, better plugs; they honestly tell you it's not original PK1, but "cheaper" and "better". I don't know what is really going on. However, I remember many preferred Shure E4C (cheaper) over E5C.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 20
Interesting...so they make a tweaked version of the PK1, do they brand it with the Yuin name? That's got to make things confusing...

I was worried because I couldn't find a US retailer at the $50 mark, only a few folks in Hong Kong. I went with a seller who has a 100% rating and has sold 174 pairs...figured someone would have said something by now...

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 20
Last year I purchased a pair of $50 PK2 from a Chinese distributor in Hong Kong to replace a previous pair.  Everything appeared exactly the same; the gear, the box, the paperwork.  They didn't sound quite right to me though.  They were missing what makes the PK2 special.  The distributor was willing to take them back but I didn't return them (and pay for the return shipping, hassle etc.) thinking for the price they would make a decent back up pair.

I finally replaced them a few months later with a $79 PK2 from Head Direct.  After the break-in period the new PK2 really made me aware of the issues with the previous pair.

I'm not sure if the earbuds from the Chinese distributor were a knock-off or a bad batch, but my 2nd pair (really my third pair) sounded much better.  

But to make things even more confusing, my first pair of PK2 was also from a Chinese distributor in Shanghai (but they were $69).  They were great.  No issues.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Last year I purchased a pair of $50 PK2 from a Chinese distributor in Hong Kong to replace a previous pair.  Everything appeared exactly the same; the gear, the box, the paperwork.  They didn't sound quite right to me though.  They were missing what makes the PK2 special.  The distributor was willing to take them back but I didn't return them (and pay for the return shipping, hassle etc.) thinking for the price they would make a decent back up pair.

I finally replaced them a few months later with a $79 PK2 from Head Direct.  After the break-in period the new PK2 really made me aware of the issues with the previous pair.

I'm not sure if the earbuds from the Chinese distributor were a knock-off or a bad batch, but my 2nd pair (really my third pair) sounded much better.  

But to make things even more confusing, my first pair of PK2 was also from a Chinese distributor in Shanghai (but they were $69).  They were great.  No issues.

I live in China and I'm not aware that ANYONE is actually willing to fake other Chinese brands.... seriously, they usually fake REALLY FAMOUS brands like the Beats by Dr.Dre.... Nike, Adidas... stuff like that

I really think that maybe yours was just a bad batch, especially if the distributor is willing to take them back

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 20
I got the PK2s a year and a half ago through ebay for $55 new shipped from China. Small seller, box had postage stamps afixed by hand. They came in this nicely made, cute, strange gray wooden box. The had a gold large adapter. I wouldn't think that a counterfeiter would go through that amount of trouble to look authentic. My wife uses them at work, where a bud is preferable to a in-ear so she can hear what's going on around her. I'm sure there are better, but compared with the white junky OEM buds, god. PK2s, Nano 6th gen running iTunes+, you can actually enjoy the music a bit. She listens to a lot of spoken word so that's less demanding.
I think they're a great gift for pod people. Audibly better for anyone with ears. Doesn't take audiophile sensibilities to notice. I know they err on the sweet side, that out of the ear, bass can't make it that far compared to in-ear, but again, compared with what Apple gives you? Probably can't do much better for a bud at this price.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 20

I just got a pair of these. And now I'm thinking at that price that they are counterfeits (or maybe he did get a bucket load of drivers at a discount).  Whatever the case, if they sound better than the iphone earbuds, I guess it's alright.

Update: Well I got them today, and my initial impressions are that they are at least better than any earbuds I've ever had.  I'll have to find some "without-a-doubt genuine" PK1s to compare them to someday... or maybe I should just live in ignorance =p

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 20
careful about your buyings. everythings fake version is available.
in alibaba.com, chinese producers offer 2-3$/pcs for yuins. someone buy and try to sell it in ebay and other ways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back