Fake Sennheiser Momentums?
Nov 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 156
  I contacted ebay and they said they will pay for the shipping. Right now the seller has responded and said that he's sorry and would like to sell the item to me for a fraction of the original price, but I just want a full refund. I don't think they sounds as good as the demos I tried in best buy. 

I'll contact them and maybe they will pay for shipping! 

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 156
I wonder how low the seller was willing to let them go... An extra set of leather pads and the cable might be in handy in the future. Unfortunately I won't be buying Sennheiser to avoid all sort of conflicts and doubts whether or not a product is legit..

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 156
  I wonder how low the seller was willing to let them go... An extra set of leather pads and the cable might be in handy in the future. Unfortunately I won't be buying Sennheiser to avoid all sort of conflicts and doubts whether or not a product is legit..

I don't understand this logic. "Someone tried to get a too good to be true deal and it was too good to be true. I'm not going to buy Sennheiser products anymore."

How about buying from an authorized dealer so you know they're real? It's not rocket science.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #35 of 156
  I'll contact them and maybe they will pay for shipping! 

That's they least they should be doing.  They need to be shutting down these sellers who sell fake items.  In fact, I hope you guys are leaving negative feedback to warn others in the future.

Even the cable is fake.  Don't know if I'd even want them around.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #36 of 156

I don't understand this logic. "Someone tried to get a too good to be true deal and it was too good to be true. I'm not going to buy Sennheiser products anymore."

How about buying from an authorized dealer so you know they're real? It's not rocket science.

Let me elucidate my argument a bit better: in order to create a perfect copy you need (almost mandatory) the respective blueprints, otherwise the process can take a lot time and effort. Highly doubt they tried many times to copy the product, if that were the case, a lot more fake sennheiser momentum will be out selling for a lower price just like it was with all the beats line: bad cheap copies, medium and "good" ones. 

Once they moved their factories to China (I don't remember seeing made in EU written anywhere) they opened the door to many other chinese companies willing to pay for such vital information. I do think the only way sennheiser can solve their counterfeit problem is to move their factories somewhere else. Their premium products are made in Ireland and Germany, is the Momentum a premium product? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I bought my cx-300ii a few years ago, I was worried they were fake (it was an official retailer but still) I spent maybe days searching information about fakes, took some time to realize they were original, but the awkward feeling stayed for a while, and know that I have the Momentum and I read concern about fakes, the uncomfortable feeling came back. 

I don't know how can somebody buy beats nowadays, The first thing that comes to my mind when I see them if they're fakes or not, pretty sure I'm not the only one. For those who only "care" about looks and style, carrying a potentially counterfeit item is degrading and defeat the purpose of the accessory.  

Hope my bizarre point of view is clear now

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #37 of 156
  Let me elucidate my argument a bit better: in order to create a perfect copy you need (almost mandatory) the respective blueprints, otherwise the process can take a lot time and effort. Highly doubt they tried many times to copy the product, if that were the case, a lot more fake sennheiser momentum will be out selling for a lower price just like it was with all the beats line: bad cheap copies, medium and "good" ones. 

Once they moved their factories to China (I don't remember seeing made in EU written anywhere) they opened the door to many other chinese companies willing to pay for such vital information. I do think the only way sennheiser can solve their counterfeit problem is to move their factories somewhere else. Their premium products are made in Ireland and Germany, is the Momentum a premium product? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I bought my cx-300ii a few years ago, I was worried they were fake (it was an official retailer but still) I spent maybe days searching information about fakes, took some time to realize they were original, but the awkward feeling stayed for a while, and know that I have the Momentum and I read concern about fakes, the uncomfortable feeling came back. 

I don't know how can somebody buy beats nowadays, The first thing that comes to my mind when I see them if they're fakes or not, pretty sure I'm not the only one. For those who only "care" about looks and style, carrying a potentially counterfeit item is degrading and defeat the purpose of the accessory.  

Hope my bizarre point of view is clear now

You can find fakes of almost anything if you buy from untrusted sources. You can find fake Shures, Sony IEMS, Audio Technicas and many other brands easily too. There were a bunch of fake SE535's on Ebay recently iirc.

If you ever buy SD cards you can find fake Samsung, Transcend, Sandisk, Sony, and others even on Amazon if you buy from sketchy sources (marketplace sellers). It's like buying a fake Gucci bag in a New York City street corner, or some fake Oakley Sunglasses and complaining that you don't trust the brand.

It's just silly. There are fakes of so many things. You can eliminate that risk by paying the normal price from an authorized seller. I guess you shouldn't buy anything made in China. Maybe your clothes are fake too.

I do not believe the Momentums are considered a premium product like the HD600's and 650's. Besides, if people are complaining about the costs already when they're made in China, how much do you think they would cost if they're made in Ireland or Germany instead? The consumers wanting to pay lower prices are a big reason so many products are made there in the first place.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #38 of 156
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to impose my point of view to any of you. There are many fakes products outside, the main reason is because their demand is too high and profits are good too. I don't see a reason to support scarcity or buy popular products to increase their demand. I would never buy a shure se535 for example 

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #39 of 156
So you won't buy any popular products made in China because you could potentially buy a fake if you buy from an untrustworthy seller. Not very logical, but that's your choice.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #40 of 156
  So you won't buy any popular products made in China because you could potentially buy a fake if you buy from an untrustworthy seller. Not very logical, but that's your choice.

I know, but It's my choice. The only way to push manufacturing back to the US is to support local products. Selling a premium product made in China is a joke to some extend.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #41 of 156
  I know, but It's my choice. The only way to push manufacturing back to the US is to support local products. Selling a premium product made in China is a joke to some extend.

Okay, but that is a different argument that has nothing to do with fakes and\or untrustworthy scumbag ebay sellers.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #43 of 156
Yesterday i received fake Sennheiser Momentums. Sadly I cannot give them back, because I bought it on a platform, where you cannot give things back. How could I believe that I can buy Sennheiser Momentum headphones for 130€ shipped.

However, to prevent other from doing so:

1) You know it is fake when: The Sennheiser and MOMENTUM Badge looks plastiky, low quality and kind of used up, eventhough it is new.

FAKE:

Real one (from the brown edition, but in this case not important):

As you can see, the real one has a much better quality and is probably out of metal. PLEASE, if some member of this forum could clarify, if the real one has metal badges.

2) You know it is fake when: The fake one has a irregular seam on the headframe  and it seems to be no real leather.

FAKE:

On the real one The seam looks perfect. Also you can look up other photos on the internet, how perfectly the seam is made on the real ones.

3) You know it is fake when: The button to adjust the cups looks plastiky and low quality. It also seems, that it does not fit in the frame and is not concentric.

FAKE:

Real one:

On the real one the button looks perfect. On the fake one it seems to be greasy, but is not. I cleaned it before.

4) You know it is fake when: The headband is not cut well. It is very sharp and also cut out of shape.

FAKE:

Real one:

As you can see, the real one has a clear cut, with a clean radius. Probably, on the real one, you will not cut yourself.

I think it is enough with the "imperfections", it is clearly a fake, when you look at the cables. I still found it to be important to show the small details, as they fake producers could always change the colour of the cable and other things, but they definitely cannot match the quality.

5) You know it is fake when: It is fake when it has a black cable that goes through the headband.

FAKE:

Real one:

6) You know it is fake when: The plugs on the cable are cheaply made and you cannot bend it to an 90° angle. Also on the fake one the plugs are out of rubber. The real one should be out of metal.

FAKE:

Real one (sorry I did not find any other good photo of the black headphone, so here againe the brown edition)

7) You know it is fake when: On the fake one, the Sennheiser lettering goes off, twhen you rub it with your finger. And you really do not have to apply much force on it.

FAKE:

Sorry, I could not find a photo from a real one, but I believe you can imagine that it would be difficult to rub off the S from "SENNHEISER" on areal one.

In general, I must say that they sound decent. A little V-shaped, but generally better than other headphones.

Additionally, I will also make some photos of the box, which had "imperfections".

EDIT: The Box

Its dumb. On the box you can see an all black version of the Momentum, but there is no. The real one has clearly a red cable, but eventhough the fake one has a red cable, on the box it is black!

FAKE:

Real one:

FAKE:

The fake box falls apart, when you open it a second time.

As you can see, the fake one has a black lash, where the real one has red lash.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #44 of 156
  Yesterday i received fake Sennheiser Momentums. Sadly I cannot give them back, because I bought it on a platform, where you cannot give things back. How could I believe that I can buy Sennheiser Momentum headphones for 130€ shipped.

However, to prevent other from doing so:

1) You know it is fake when: The Sennheiser and MOMENTUM Badge looks plastiky, low quality and kind of used up, eventhough it is new.

FAKE:

As you can see, the real one has a much better quality and is probably out of metal. PLEASE, if some member of this forum could clarify, if the real one has metal badges.

2) You know it is fake when: The fake one has a irregular seam on the headframe  and it seems to be no real leather.

FAKE:

On the real one The seam looks perfect. Also you can look up other photos on the internet, how perfectly the seam is made on the real ones.

3) You know it is fake when: The button to adjust the cups looks plastiky and low quality. It also seems, that it does not fit in the frame and is not concentric.

FAKE:

Real one:

On the real one the button looks perfect. On the fake one it seems to be greasy, but is not. I cleaned it before.

4) You know it is fake when: The headband is not cut well. It is very sharp and also cut out of shape.

FAKE:

Real one:

As you can see, the real one has a clear cut, with a clean radius. Probably, on the real one, you will not cut yourself.

I think it is enough with the "imperfections", it is clearly a fake, when you look at the cables. I still found it to be important to show the small details, as they fake producers could always change the colour of the cable and other things, but they definitely cannot match the quality.

5) You know it is fake when: It is fake when it has a black cable that goes through the headband.

FAKE:

Real one:

6) You know it is fake when: The plugs on the cable are cheaply made and you cannot bend it to an 90° angle. Also on the fake one the plugs are out of rubber. The real one should be out of metal.

FAKE:

Real one (sorry I did not find any other good photo of the black headphone, so here againe the brown edition)

7) You know it is fake when: On the fake one, the Sennheiser lettering goes off, twhen you rub it with your finger. And you really do not have to apply much force on it.

FAKE:

Sorry, I could not find a photo from a real one, but I believe you can imagine that it would be difficult to rub off the S from "SENNHEISER" on areal one.

In general, I must say that they sound decent. A little V-shaped, but generally better than other headphones.

Additionally, I will also make some photos of the box, which had "imperfections".

Thank you for all the pictures. It is very useful.

I look forward to the photos of the box. Especially that authenticity sticker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back