Fairly new here, need headphone recommendations
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wolf18t

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first post on this board, but I read it since a few weeks. In fact I read this board since I started the build my AMB beta 22 amplifer. Now that my amplifer is almost finished (only need a case) I began to listen to it with my old Sennheiser HD560 ovation and I think they need a well deserved retirement.

So I plan to get new headphones, but which ones? As a reference, I found my HD560 too lean with no low bass extension. I like the midrange and highs but it can be a bit less less sibilant. As a more modern reference I tried my friend's Shure SE530: soundwise I found them muffled or dark compared to my HD560, the highs were definitely too rolloff for my taste and weak soundstage.

Over 15 years ago when I bought my HD560 I also tried the (then) quite new on the market Grados (don't remember which model, they were priced a little higher than HD560) and found them too bassy (too much upper bass) and there was no soundstage at all. If they have the same sound signature today I will eliminate them.

Here is in order preference the qualities I'm looking for:
1) Good tonal balance with a controlled and extended bass.
2) Transparency, I must feel that the performers and intruments are there and not behind a curtain
3) Good soundstage, not necessarily ultra wide or deep but precise and focused even on complex musical passage
4) I'm no detail freak but I like to here things I cannot hear in my car...

In the loudspeaker world I generally prefer electrostatic or ribbon sound (ML, Maggies, Newform Research which I own) than boxes but there are exceptions like some higher end PROACs and JMLabs...

My musical preference is rock of all time, all genre and I really like acoustic and live material. I also listen from time to time to classical.
My current audio music gear is the following:
Source --> California Audio Lab Icon MKII HDCD (power Boss)
Interconnect --> Some Straightwire don't remember which model
Amplification --> AMB beta 22 active ground (Solid State Class A)

To date I consider the folowing headphones which are in my price range (<300$)
1) BeyerDynamic DT880 (2003 or 2005?)
2) Sennheiser (HD600 or HD650?)
3) AKG 701 (maybe too lean and sibilant?)
4) Other? Except higher end source components I've never been a japanese fan in audio world. Maybe I could change my mind on headphones (Denon, Sony etc...)

Thanks

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 3
I like the AKG sound. Had several of them, currently the K500s (K701 is on its way). Have often read that Senns have a "dark" or "veiled" sound. Cannot really confirm that so far. Heard the HD580 (said to be similar to the HD600s) and well, they were good at many things, but they didn't excel at anything (if you compare them to "rocking" Grados). The K701s are said to be: neutral and authentic, i.e. true to the original recording and have a huge soundstage; also, compared to the DT-880s, they are said to be less sibilant (graphs at headroom.com seem to confirm that, no matter what these graphs say otherwise.)
Well, a lot of hearsay. Using K601 pads, I even like the K500s for rock. But, to be on the safe side, I'll just recommend the Grado SR-225 if you don't mind how uncomfortable they look/are.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 3
I think the K701 lacks bass, and you said you like rock, maybe it's not a good option, although they're excellent in the mid and treble frequencies. From the list you suggested, the Beyer DT880 2005 and the Senn HD600 are good options. The HD650 is out of the price range you set (new one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back