Face Mask Free-giving by HIFIMAN
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #32 of 41
Thanks for what you are doing and hopefully some more come back in stock. I know they are mainly to prevent spreading but I think they are worth having for protection as well, and for someone working in IT who is still forced to work and go into clients offices and medical practices, it would be nice to have some extra peace of mind in these times.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #33 of 41
Thanks for what you are doing and hopefully some more come back in stock. I know they are mainly to prevent spreading but I think they are worth having for protection as well, and for someone working in IT who is still forced to work and go into clients offices and medical practices, it would be nice to have some extra peace of mind in these times.
They should definitely be a requirement in dense areas like NY City, etc.. People cannot avoid being near each other at times like for example in elevators. The problem is, there is mask shortages in general in the country, and the health professionals needs them the most as they are the ones in the front-line that can help deter fatalities and help critical condition patients.

When the masks starts to become abundant, everybody should wear masks and gloves when they have no choice, but to be in places where social distancing is almost impossible.

The really important thing is to not touch things that are commonly touched before dis-infecting, like doors, etc.. and wash your hands often for minimum of
20 seconds. And keep your hands off your faces where there are spots virus can enter.

What's something new that's interesting I heard is that it's not necessary to wash vegetables with soap, but rinsing it water washes away the virus. Not sure how true this one is.

We must all practice social distancing, and keep isolate as much as we can. We need to reduce the number cases that becomes critical that can potentially over-whelm hospitals with too many patients for medical professionals to take care of and with the limited number of ventilators.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #34 of 41
Do your own research and consider the sources. For example, politicians are generally not credible sources of scientific information, nor are medical/scientific professionals who give opinions unrelated to their actual areas of expertise). Don't take advice from a primary care doctor that would more likely be accurate from a virologist. For example, there is a ridiculous YouTube video in which a physician recommends washing leafy greens in soapy water. Terrible idea!

Washing vegetables with soap is a bad idea, according to a number of sources, including FDA. Soap can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Since the virus is NOT caused by intake of food, you don't need to be washing food with soap. Just wash in cold water.

There are mixed recommendations about food packaging. While the virus is known to live for some period of time on cardboard, plastic and stainless steel, experts seem to agree that there is a relatively low risk of catching the virus from packaging. The general advice from FDA and other sources is to wash your hands with soap after handling food packaging, and remove food from carryout containers into your own serving bowls/plates, then wash your hands before eating. However, there are some people who recommend swabbing off food packaging (from grocery stores) with antibacterial wipes and letting the packaging dry before putting away the food.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #36 of 41
Thanks to Fang for the masks just received them.

On another note I just got Price gouged on a box of 50 for $108 at a true value store same type mask.
They wanted a $100 for 10 N95 masks all from China
Only reason I bought them was they are not available anywhere where else on long Island which has become a hotspot just behind NYC
Props to Fang for his offer

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #40 of 41
Kudos to Hifiman! i just love their products, I must have had at least 6 or 7 different products from them. Patiently waiting for almost two months now for Sundara to arrive due to logistical issues. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back