FA-003 vs ATH-AD900 vs SRH940
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

diodiel

500+ Head-Fier
hello head-fiers! i just need opinions on which one to buy, im just confused between these 3..

if any1 have had them or tried them which one do you think is the best bet to get?

thanks! not really sure what sounds they specializes in

and any pros/cons?

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 30
I haven't heard the others, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the AD900. They are a beautiful headphone for the price. Great detail, clarity, sound stage. The only thing lacking is a bit of bass, but if you don't listen mainly to bass heavy music this isn't an issue.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 30
For a start the AD900 are open while the FA-003 are closed. If you don't need isolation I would suggest getting open phones. Open phones let you enjoy the advantage of full size headphones: air and soundstage. The AD900 ar highly recommended by a lot of people.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
Ohh good to hear that from ad900 but how bad is its bass?
and wat is air that it has and how bad are the isolations foe ad900?
thanks!

It's bass isn't terrible, it's just a bit rolled off. IMO if you don't listen to bass heavy music this isn't an issue for the price. Air is kind of the spaciousness between the music and separation between the instruments. The AD900s aren't meant to isolate, hence why they are open headphones.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 30

aw this blows cuz i really wanted ad900 cuz our sq and air and soundstage, thanks for the advice tho
but yea i dont see myself getting an open phone as my primary phone and only one.. cuz i live with a lot of people and im always on the go.. maybe ill get it after i get a closed one so i can switch back and forth depending on the situations lol

edit: im prolly stuck with 940 and fa-003 hmm

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
http://www.insound.com/TMA-1-Headphones-Black-Headphones-AIAIAI/P/INS79296/

Those are another closed option. Any particular reason you selected the 3 in your OP?

ohh srh-940=  had good reviews for srh series and this one is probably an upgrade from the old ones. i tried srh750 before and liked it

fa-003 = getting good hype here on head-fi and it looks comfty

ath-ad900= good reviews and talked abt a lot in one of the threads i made soyeaaa

hows that headphones that you linked me

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 30
I can only speak for the AD900, never even seen the others in person.

The AD900 is very detailed and easily driven.  It has a forward midrange which works nice for guitar work and vocals.  It has a big soundstage and an airy sound.  It is more trebley than your average headphone and might be too bright for some.  Bass is deep and tight but light on impact, definitely below average in terms of bass quantity.  They are light and built well.  I find them to be comfortable because they rest lightly on my head and ears but the earpads are thin so this means that the driver housing actually touches your ears kinda like an over the ear headphone.  Some people hate this and there are mods like the phat pad mod to fix this.

Contrary to what was said above, I don't think the bass is rolled off at all but just low in quantity so it doesn't always sound present.

What kind of music do you listen to?  I pretty much listen only to alternative rock (punk, metal, indie, folk, alt country) and only thing they might be considered bad for is metal.  I don't mind them because their speed works well for the genre and the forward midrange is great but the lack of bass could easily be a big turn off for some.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 30
I'm guessing that they wouldn't be very good with hip hop but I don't listen to any so maybe you want a second opinion
atsmile.gif

...yea that's the grin the AD900s put on my face

Users who are viewing this thread

Back