F/S: AKG K271 w/ Velour pads, custom cable (price drop)
Nov 15, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
I am offering up for sale my pair of AKG K271, which I bought about 7 months ago, and used exclusively at work, where they were either sitting on my head or resting on top of my Zhaolu DAC there. There are some marks on one of the metal trim rings, but they are minor and I dont possess the ability to get a good photo of them. After a few months, I bought the velour replacement earpads for them, which greatly increase the comfort. I still have the stock pleather pads which are in good shape, I just didnt like how sweaty they could get. The velours completely fixed this problem. Later on, I built a replacement cable, which consists of a Switchcraft TA3FLX mini XLR, Neutrik NP3C/B 1/4" plug, and a 9' custom round braided 22awg silver plated copper in teflon cable, sheathed in Nylon multifiliment.

I am selling these headphones because they have been replaced by a pair of Fostex T20v2 orthos at work about a month ago, and they havnt been getting any use since then.

I am looking for SOLD shipped in the ConUS. Willing to ship elsewhere, but actual shipping charges apply. Feel free to make a trade offer, but I would probably just prefer cash right now.

K271package.jpg

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 15

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
Bump for a good set of closed cans. It took vented orthodyamics for me to replace these, which definitely give up on much of the good isolation these provide. I also do still have the original box.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 15

Paul_in_Maryland

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a used pair on eBay, passing on your pair because of the sentence, "It took vented orthodyamics for me to replace these, which definitely give up on much of the good isolation these provide." Now I'm wondering whether I understood you correctly: Does your pair give up some of its original sound isolation because of some venting mod? Or have you switched to a new pair of phones that uses vented orthodynamics (whatever that is)? In other words, did you mean "to replace these phones" or "to replace the original pads"? I SURE would have welcomed those velour pads, preinstalled.
confused_face.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 15

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a used pair on eBay, passing on your pair because of the sentence, "It took vented orthodyamics for me to replace these, which definitely give up on much of the good isolation these provide." Now I'm wondering whether I understood you correctly: Does your pair give up some of its original sound isolation because of some venting mod? Or have you switched to a new pair of phones that uses vented orthodynamics (whatever that is)? In other words, did you mean "to replace these phones" or "to replace the original pads"? I SURE would have welcomed those velour pads, preinstalled.
confused_face.gif

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the confusion. I had been using these as my only headphones at work up until about 1.5 months ago, when I brought in a pair of Fostex T20. I now also have a pair of Yamaha HP-50A at work, in addition to the Fostex, and both of these headphones are of the orthodynamic variety, using drivers similar in operation to Magnepan speakers or ribbon tweeters, and both of which have a vented construction. The K271 is completely sealed, though the velour pads probably give a slight loss in sound isolation, but small enough that I havnt really noticed anything. I cant hear any of the computers in the office with the K271 on, which includes a rackmount server and about a dozen desktop PCs, and actually, the isolation is a bit too much at times, as I have difficulty hearing my boss while wearing them. The Yamaha and Fostex headphones have much less isolation, so I have to be careful with my listening levels when there are other people around, so I dont bother them with my music. The only modifications I have done to these headphones are the velour pads and recable, both of which are easily reversible.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 15

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi LostOne.TR, good to hear from you. These headphones are under a year old, and the elastics are actually still tighter than I would prefer for my own personal use. I havnt really noticed it getting any looser since I bought them either. I dont have too much experience with different AKGs, but my impression from reading is that the elastics issues are mainly on the K240 Sextetts, which are all much, much older than these headphones.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 15

Paul_in_Maryland

100+ Head-Fier
I'm actually in the market to buy my second pair. But I have no need for the long cable; I prefer a short cable and recently ordered a 1-meter premium cable for my first pair. Any chance you'd sell the headphones without the cable? I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a used pair or B-stock on Monday, December 8; there are three available in the range of $110 to $130 shipped (including one other for sale in this forum).

Users who are viewing this thread