F@H properly using Dual Core CPU?
Oct 10, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Headphoneus Supremus
Yo,

How can I ensure that Folding at Home is actually using both cores properly? I have an old P4 w/HyperThreading at home so it's not a big deal, but on my new PC it is an AMD Dual Core so if it has two physical cores i'd like to make sure i'm maximizing it's F@H-ness!
smily_headphones1.gif
There are FAQs on their site but most are not very helpful to me.... They ramble without just using plain english :-/

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open task manager and look at CPU usage graphs

Yeah thanks :p

I've never gotten it to use more than 50% (1 CPU affinity) this way and F@H won't let you open a second instance, so...

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im sure there used to be an option to set the number of cpus in use cant remember where as i uninstalled it years ago

Oh I see how it is, you want people to die of Huntington's and Cancer?

:p

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah thanks :p

I've never gotten it to use more than 50% (1 CPU affinity) this way and F@H won't let you open a second instance, so...

Actually, you NEED to open a separate instance for each core/processor. They just have to be in different directories and have their own unique IDs.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you NEED to open a separate instance for each core/processor. They just have to be in different directories and have their own unique IDs.

Oooh!! Goodness. I didn't see that on the FAH site, but then maybe it's burried somewhere in the pages of randomness
rolleyes.gif

Thanks dude!
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Okay, well i've got my P4 w/HT at home setup like this, basically i've got Program Files/Folding@Home and Program Files/FaH_cpu2 (within this i also renamed the subfolder to F@H2)

I have the drop-down under Settings -> far-right tab (don't remember name) set to Machine ID 1 and Machine ID 2 respectively. Both set to 100% CPU usage on the slider bar(s).

Only thing i'm unsure of, is the "Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU" check mark(s). Since i'm actually using both (virtual) CPU cores now, should I have these boxes checked or unchecked?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 13
For it to use two cores you have to have some special version that I can't seem to remember the name of, but it's not the standard version... SMP that's what it's called.

When I was folding I used two linux virtual machines each using two cores and 1gb or so of ram with an SMP. They have SMP for windows as well.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 13
or just get the GPU version, it kills the cpu version in speed.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or just get the GPU version, it kills the cpu version in speed.

Seeing as his computer is a P4 he might not have a graphics card new enough to use it. Not to mention the best thing to do is to use both the cpu and gpu version.
wink.gif

(Although personally I had a lot more lag issues with GPU2 than twin SMPs....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back