Extremely disappointed of my combo - HD700 + O2/ODAC
May 12, 2015 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

rogerthatmand

Head-Fier
Hey there,
Almost a year ago I purchased the combo of Sennheiser HD700 and the DAC+AMP - JDSLabs O2+ODAC.. And I'm really disappointed of it :frowning2:
It happens even at the beginning, it was TOO bright and spiky. Sometimes it actually hurt my hear. So I decided that I have no choice but to change my combo.
I'm listening basically to rock, psychedelic, blues, jazz.. etc.
I really don't know anymore which headphones are recommended to my genres I listen too (I got a lot of recommendations of the HD650, but I thought the HD700 will give me some good features like the soundstage, etc.., so that's important for me too).

My budget for headphones + amp + dac is around 1000$. 

May 12, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 39
  Almost a year ago I purchased the combo of Sennheiser HD700 and the DAC+AMP - JDSLabs O2+ODAC.. And I'm really disappointed of it :frowning2:
It happens even at the beginning, it was TOO bright and spiky. Sometimes it actually hurt my hear. So I decided that I have no choice but to change my combo.
I'm listening basically to rock, psychedelic, blues, jazz.. etc.
I really don't know anymore which headphones are recommended to my genres I listen too (I got a lot of recommendations of the HD650, but I thought the HD700 will give me some good features like the soundstage, etc.., so that's important for me too).
My budget for headphones + amp + dac is around 1000$. 

Have you tried to plug the HD700 into something else for comparison?

May 12, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 39
  Actually not. Are there any affordable amp+dac which are way warmer than what I have now?

If you hate the peak, there's only so much you could do about it. Trying tube amps might help (some people reported good results with the Bottlehead Crack, as it apparently tames the treble decently well), but honestly, you'll be better off with a different pair of headphones.

May 12, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 39
  Isn't the Bottlehead Crack is DIY only kinda amp? and It's only amp, isn't it? I'm looking for a combo with a DAC.

Can be DIY or premade, depending on your choice. And yes, it's only an amp: don't see what the problem is, unless you're very insistent on a amp + DAC combo. If so, then the Woo Audio WA7 also has some pretty raving reviews, but it's $999 USD minimum.

May 12, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 39
I'm gonna be blunt.

You made a really poor purchasing decision. The HD700 is not a very good headphone. It probably has the worst price/performance ratio of any major headphone. No amp or DAC is going to fix its treble issues. You would have been better off buying an HD600/650, DT880, or Fidelio X2. The O2/ODAC is not a particularly great sounding combo. It was basically "baby's first setup" a few years ago, but it has since been superceded by the Schiit stack and Geek Out 450.

I'd sell everything and buy an HD600 and a Schiit stack. The HD600 has been <$250 a bunch of times recently, so you should be able to get it for a lot less than what you can sell your HD700 for.

May 12, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 39
  I'm gonna be blunt.

You made a really poor purchasing decision. The HD700 is not a very good headphone. It probably has the worst price/performance ratio of any major headphone. No amp or DAC is going to fix its treble issues. You would have been better off buying an HD600/650, DT880, or Fidelio X2. The O2/ODAC is not a particularly great sounding combo. It was basically "baby's first setup" a few years ago, but it has since been superceded by the Schiit stack and Geek Out 450.

I'd sell everything and buy an HD600 and a Schiit stack. The HD600 has been <$250 a bunch of times recently, so you should be able to get it for a lot less than what you can sell your HD700 for.

Speak for yourself: I love my HD700's. I love it so much, I purposely pair it with O2/ODAC so that it retains as much of its sound signature as possible.

May 12, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 39
Not going as far as saying that the HD700 isn't a good headphone. Opinions vary. But I do think that you chose a really bright combo together with the JDS. 

I second considering a Schiit stack for example. For me Asgard2/Bifrost Uber was a bit too warm sounding but it might work well even with the HD700. HD600 is a good suggestion too and matches well with a Schiit Lyr but even better with the BH Crack. I don't know how the HD700 fares with the Crack but if it's anything like the HD800 not optimal in my opinion. Also the HD700 is really comfortable. Don't throw it away immediately.

May 12, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 39
Biggest change is going to come from the headphones. A tube amp might mitigate some of the brightness, but said brightness really is coming from the HD700 more than the O2.

I will agree with everyone suggesting the HD600/650. I believe that the 650 is a bit warmer than the 600, but both should be good. If you haven't tried them before, then DEFINITELY try them now as they are very good reference points.

Amp-wise, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the O2 and ODAC. Could you find something better? Maybe, but as I said before, the biggest change will be coming from the headphones. As long as your O2 can power the headphones you're plugging in, I don't see any reason to ditch it, at least not immediately.

May 12, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 39
  What kind of music do you listen to? Don't you find it way too bright? 

Pretty much everything except rock, jazz and EDM/house/electronic. It's particularly beautiful with classical IMO, but anything orchestral is really decent with them. Pop, I use more bassy stuff to shake my head to.

Not going as far as saying that the HD700 isn't a good headphone. Opinions vary. But I do think that you chose a really bright combo together with the JDS. 

I second considering a Schiit stack for example. For me Asgard2/Bifrost Uber was a bit too warm sounding but it might work well even with the HD700. HD600 is a good suggestion too and matches well with a Schiit Lyr but even better with the BH Crack. I don't know how the HD700 fares with the Crack but if it's anything like the HD800 not optimal in my opinion. Also the HD700 is really comfortable. Don't throw it away immediately.

Of course it's bright: the HD700 is naturally bright. The O2/ODAC isn't going to hide that, nor accentuate it.

May 12, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 39
I also made a purchase of an amp and headphone which did not go together when I first joined. One way to cure the situation is find two more pieces of equipment. Find some headphones which go with the O2 and find an amp maybe for the HD700.

It really works to take everything to a show and mix and match gear. Synergy seems to be what it is all about here.

All of us have had to find our sound. Some people like dark colored systems and some like bright systems. It is all about trying a lot of different equipment here.

Still having two rigs in the end is nice. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. Listening to two different sound signatures can be confusing but I feel it is educational in the end.

May 12, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 39

The O2/ODAC isn't going to hide that, nor accentuate it.

That may be accurate. For some reason I was under the impression those are on bright side of neutral. 

I also made a purchase of an amp and headphone which did not go together when I first joined. One way to cure the situation is find two more pieces of equipment. Find some headphones which go with the O2 and find an amp maybe for the HD700.

It really works to take everything to a show and mix and match gear. Synergy seems to be what it is all about here.

All of us have had to find our sound. Some people like dark colored systems and some like bright systems. It is all about trying a lot of different equipment here.

Still having two rigs in the end is nice. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. Listening to two different sound signatures can be confusing but I feel it is educational in the end.

Mega true. Mix and match. In fact I sold the gear I had collected two years ago because I was so dissapointed. Took a little break before started trying out things again and I realised it was the synergy lacking. When comparing the setup then and now my current is way -way- more enjoyable. Naturally.

May 12, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 39
Before you sell everything and take a major loss, why not try the $119.00 Vali tube amp. I have read numerous times it pairs well with both the HD700 & HD800.
If  you do not like it send it back.
http://schiit.com/products/vali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back