Extremely disappointed by every other forum on the net, besides Head-fi
Jul 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know. This is probably another one of those I LOVE HEAD-FI threads, or will become one, but I just started looking into other forums for the various portable players I have. Won't really mention them, but I have not found another forum that has the activity, nor the quality of community that head-fi has. Other forums (generally speaking) do not have frequent posters there to learn, it seems like people just pop in, and give their two cents according to the topic title...without reading the other posts in the thread. And I also find, that other in other forums...people do not know how to use the search function. I find that on the most part people here do..with the exception of newbies which just ask for general advice to know where to start - that is just great to me! Even the for sale forums are more tightly run, more efficient than others I feel - and this is without rediculous and ludicrous restrictions, or demands to know everything about your life (requirements as in feedback, 1000000+ posts, verified address -yes these things are great to have, but on head-fi it's not imperative to have..something about the trust we have for our members here). While we do have the occasional member here trying to swing a quick buck by scamming...it isn't rampant, or it isn't as bad as it could be, so that is something to congratulate ourselves on. And lately, some forums have started imposing more restrictions on their members..requiring 1000 posts for an avatar...WTH is that?! Or requiring sign in just to read posts! Anyway, just wanted to say that, head-fi is a really great place because of its members, its set up, its mods, and etc. I don't have much presence in other forums, but head-fi, I am proud to be a headphoneus supremus.

Rant over!

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 10
yes, I agree ..I visited the much-touted Jaben site ...and found it rather limited, to be polite. People offering opinions on gear they've not heard, the somewhat shunning of a well-regarded brand (my favorite; Stax). and so-so reviews.

Yet, Ray Samuels and other top American brands were very well known and respected. So at least they got some of it right.

A strange Japanese "expert" ranking of the top cans was also a bit baffling ...most Stax were left out and the ranking was limited to those available on the Japanese domestic market (just about every can, but no mention of amp/can combinations/synergy)

I've always considered ranking a headphone without pairing it with the proper amp akin to evaluating a car without taking a test drive.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 10
I prefer mtbr because there seems to be less subjective reviews on products and components. (expected, given that the nature of products are physical and they work well or they don't).

I have to take nearly every review I read here with a grain of salt, unless is is one of the few who are objective enough that I can trust them. Still an amazing community and great people, which is very hard to come by.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I agree.

PSP-Hacks was the first real forum i frequented, but not for long. Too much flaming and locking of threads because someone bumped it when it was a week old.

This place is great. Its nice to refresh my tabs and have something to look at, as other forums like iaudiophile and Abi never seem to have as much talk, and not as many new posts in my subscriptions.

Great place here!

Not long until I myself am a HS!

Do i get a custom title then? I've never known how you can have one, some do some dont, and all with varying numbers of posts, contributions etc.

Please explain, its driving me crazzzzy!

Matt

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I hang out at very few forums, and only post at two. I've been to too many places where the mods didn't keep the peace, hell they often fed the flames. I particularly dislike large Asian music forums, because believe it or not there's a lot of "subtle" anti-Asian racism. (Did you know that Asian women like being treated like anime stereotypes and all non-Asian men are tall, handsome, and Brad Pitt?) And what's sad, is that's perfectly accepted since it's mostly non-Asians who frequent them. The few Asians there are usually quiet or emo posers who adhere to negative caucasian/black stereotypes (the valley prep and the mtv "gangster").

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 10
I agree. Intelligent people - well monitored. Very rare in online forums. Most other audio forums are pissing contests to say mine is better.

I was at audiogon for a long time and then saw my posts being pulled because I recommended a Von Schweikert speaker over one of the moderators favorites. I noticed a lot of "good ol boys" stuff going on over there and dropped it shortly after that.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 10
Head-Fi members are very helpful and polite for the most part. A lot of posts that I come across on other forums are garbage posts. After a few hours of reading the forums (VW and Civic), Head-Fi is especially relaxing. No putdowns and most stuff on here is very useful. I go to an Ovation forum that is very polite and helpful as well, but it has a tiny fraction of the traffic/activity of Head-Fi. Thanks, Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 10
This place is quite good, and the average intelligence/knowledge level is astonishingly high. And people generally adhere to decent standards of grammar. And when you go to a meet... it's the cream of the crop, which is really good cream. I was just so impressed by the people I hung out with (granted, they're at the top of the head-fi ladder, but it's impressive nevertheless). And also, it's a huge plus to have consistent contact with amp designers/builders, since their products are expensive. Try having a conversation with the person who designed your car or TV.

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 10
For good ol record deck, amp n speaker hi-fi I like Pink Fish Media. In fact I just registered....

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 10
With all the nice things said about Head-Fi in this thread, what would you guys say is the speaker equivalent of Head-Fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back