Extreme Isolation?
Sep 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 27
I haven't found any conventional closed headphone that I could mix with live as well as the Extreme Isolations. A lot of companies claim high isolation, like Sennheiser, but it's just not enough for me. These really are isolation headphones. There are some much more expensive types on the market now available, but I haven't tried those yet other than the HN. The HN is better sounding overall one could argue and definitely higher isolation, but they were just too glassy-sounding to mix at high volumes. The bass was also too deep without having enough kick and resolution. The big benefit of the HN is smoother highs than the MDR. The earpads were the kicker. I do not use the EX-29s for recreational listening. But when there is a live sound system pumping 100dB+ around me and I'm wearing musicians earplugs to boot, the last thing I'm worried about is audiophile sensibilities. That's why I have my other headphones. When flying and doing other loud things, I use the ER4S. I can't take the Ety off and put them in again quickly and repeatedly, though. The owner of Direct Sound has also really worked with me to get parts and new drivers for very reasonable cost when I've needed them. Nice guy. I've got three spare drivers and cords in a closet just in case I need to install them. Ortofon just sent me a pair of O2s to show off for them, and if you want a bit more bass than neutral of very high quality and fairly good isolation for a conventional headphone, I find them to be better than the Pioneer 1000…my prior standard for conventional DJ headphones. The O-One is definitely an audiophile headphone, though.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 27
They are not a copy. I had the cooperation of Ortofon and Ultrasone for my djforums review. They use a similar housing on the O-One (to the 550 & DJ Pro) and the O2 (to the DJ1) but both use completely different drivers. The O2 also lacks S-Logic, because I'd mentioned on the O-One I thought it does too many weird things in the midrange to need it for mixing purposes. What makes the GMP so good at isolation compared to other conventional closed headphones?

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me... super isolation, and studio quality is http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ger...indeed-406658/

Any idea how well they isolate, ie how many dBs. I gave up looking for isolating full sized headphones years ago. None I tried isolated as well as the worst isolating in ears. I wasn't looking for something to mix with, but something for commuting on loud mass transit.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 27
I'm betting not any more than the Sennheiser 280 or the Ortofon O2.

"super isolation"

I hear that kind of thing all the time about all sorts of headphones, and it's always in comparison to Grados, Sennheiser HD600s, or some other open or not completely circumaural headphone. If it's extra special, then I'd be interested in hearing how.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea how well they isolate, ie how many dBs. I gave up looking for isolating full sized headphones years ago. None I tried isolated as well as the worst isolating in ears. I wasn't looking for something to mix with, but something for commuting on loud mass transit.

The GMP 8.35 isolates better than my old HFI-550. and they are way more comfy for long sessions.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 27
So Philip, still liking the Ex-25?

I find myself seeking a full sized passive headphone with best isolating capabilities for commuting. At a reasonable price.

And I am not an audiophile. So I care more about isolation, comfort and durability.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 27
Same here... Philip are you still there?

I personally do care well enough about sound quality but you don't have a lot of choice for such a feature in the passive earmuff like isolation headphone department...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back