Extreme Isolation?
Sep 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

philip1

Head-Fier
anyone ever heard of these? I bought a pair just to see what they are like I will review them once they arrive. they have a tall hill to climb to equal or beat my MB Quarts. I will use three different albums to test for clarity bass and muddieness. the albums are T.A.T.U. the best, Ben folds five the unauthorized biography of Reinhold Messner, and Simon & Garfunkle bridge over troubled water. These each have their own unique sound the MB Quarts reproduce these with clarity and transparancy that will be tough to follow.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 27
These arrived today Branded Direct Sound and out of the box they were a touch muddy but after just an hour they are starting to show promise. Purchase price was $60

These are designed around basically shooting ears so Isolation is fantastic the drivers are 40mm (poly of some sort) they do have a bass port. Construction is plastic with Pleather cups. Cabling is fairly cheap the plugs are of a quality far superior to the cable. I will burn these in and file another report on sound quality.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 27
This thread is worthless without pics?

wink.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 27
OK photos.........

DSC_2178.jpg

DSC_2179.jpg

the right side is red

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 27
after just two hours burn time these have gone from slightly muddy to smooth with a quick bass but still a slightly recessed upper midrange I'll give them some more burn time to see if they keep getting better.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some of those. Different model though. I only use them for drumming and don't ever use the speakers inside them.

give them a try you might be surprised by them

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 27
The brand is "Direct Audio" the model line is "Extreme Isolation" model number EX-25.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 27
Another hour of burn in and an Ah ha! moment the recessed upper mids have come forward, the bass is reaching lower and getting tighter, treble has cleared up too. So far I am rather pleased with these Low budget cans I expect they will get sweeter and smoother as they age.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 27
No, I don't think I'll be surprised by them. They sound horrible. They are only good for playing along with a beat. Though I find that using iems along with the extreme isolation phones results in enough isolation to play drums and listen to music at the same time. Drums are just too loud to use the full size cans alone.

Yours may be worlds better though.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is worthless without pics?

wink.gif

Let me guess.. Farker?
biggrin.gif

On topic, those headphones do indeed look like shooter's muffs, or the type of hearing protection you'd wear whilst operating a band saw.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 27
I have all three versions of the EX-29. Each uses different drivers.

V1 has a lot of bass and is tame up top, which eqing with a single bass/treble mass eq knob works great on. Surprisingly decent sound when you do that. It had the largest earcup, the tightest seal, and the most isolation.

V2 has slightly less bass than neutral, but very clear, expressive mids. Smaller earcup, thinner earpad that are a bit hard. Pretty tight sound.

V3 current version has the most neutral sound of all three, but is a little soft and flabby in transients. Not as tight as V2. I would say it's the smoothest and most euphonic of them. Same earcup as V2, softer earpad. Seals about the same as V2. I've got two of these.

V1 has the driver bare-mounted in the aviation/shooting headset. V2 & V3 have their drivers in separate housings. V3 has a MUCH better plug with screw-on 1/4 inch.

I had a pair of HN-7506 before these. I found the bass weird, the mids very glassy, and the highs at least not as coarse and bright as the Sony. The earpads also kept rupturing. Supposedly memory foam or oil-filled earpads are more durable than the gell things. They isolated as well as the ER4S, which is as good as it gets.

Though you could argue the HN does some things better than the Direct Sound EX-29s and definitely sounds closer to the Sony, I found the EX-29's had a higher resolution and were less fatiguing for some reason...in spite of their other sonic issues. They're also lighter. The HN sounds perhaps more "hifi".

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reticuli2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have all three versions of the EX-29. Each uses different drivers.

V1 has a lot of bass and is tame up top, which eqing with a single bass/treble mass eq knob works great on. Surprisingly decent sound when you do that. It had the largest earcup, the tightest seal, and the most isolation.

V2 has slightly less bass than neutral, but very clear, expressive mids. Smaller earcup, thinner earpad that are a bit hard. Pretty tight sound.

V3 current version has the most neutral sound of all three, but is a little soft and flabby in transients. Not as tight as V2. I would say it's the smoothest and most euphonic of them. Same earcup as V2, softer earpad. Seals about the same as V2. I've got two of these.

V1 has the driver bare-mounted in the aviation/shooting headset. V2 & V3 have their drivers in separate housings. V3 has a MUCH better plug with screw-on 1/4 inch.

Going by memory and your list, I think i have EX-29 v2 here.

I think they sound completely awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back