EXTREME budget phones--suggestions?
Apr 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tr3vis324

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy extreme budget headphones as the title says. The main purpose for these headphones is for use in front of a computer along with an input keyboard. Since these will be bought en masse for a school library (like 10-20 max), the ideal price range for them would be $5 to $25 each. Specs wouldn't matter much but they must be full-size headphones (circum- or semicircumaural; could be supra-, but circumaural preferred), closed, and durable. Preferably they'd have short coiled cables. I know quality isn't much of an option at this price range, but as much as possible would be great. Thanks a lot for your help guys!

-tr3vis324

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 15
They're not what you're asking for per-se, but the KSC-75 is the best sound quality you're gonna find under $50. They're also among the most durable.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 15
They're not what you're asking for per-se, but the KSC-75 is the best sound quality you're gonna find under $50. They're also among the most durable.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:

Yes, the KSC-75. It's superb for their price range (in fact, I own one) and I absolutely love them! But as you noted, I'm looking for a closed, circumaurual headphones... maybe I could purchase a bulk of these and mod them into some shoddy headphones my school's library has... They're apparently 170 ohms, but its quality seems to come out their bottom ends. Any more suggestions?

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 15
I also think you will have a hard time doing better than the HD 201. I think some places even sell them in multi-packs.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 15
The HD201 fits your requirements best, but IMO the KSC75 with the PartsExpress headband absolutely crushes the HD201 in sound quality. I love the KSC75 and I think it performs FAR FAR above its price point - around $70-80 IMO. Since you're ordering in bulk the headband mod will not cost you that much in shipping costs, so the total cost for the whole thing will be around $20.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 15
ksc75 for library phone are a bad idea So much leakage
also the closed koss r/10 with koss famou 60ohms drivers are kinda okay but so cheap in built quality
philips are also an often overlook budget phone check out their lower end offerings
shp2500 are very decent

jvc also has some good low end offering like the "flats"

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 15
The Sennheiser HD202 would get my vote. They were available around $29 last time I checked. They do come with a wire spindle (I am sure that is not what its called, but its a plastic piece on which u can wind ur excess cable )

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 15
Thanks a lot guys! I talked to the librarian the other day, and we decided to get the Sennheiser HD201. I know the sound will be a giant upgrade, since we've been using these shoddy headphones in the music library: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Stereo-Deluxe-Headphones-HA-5/dp/tech-data/B002ZZZSAA

I was really surprised when I found out that they're actually 160Ω. I also found out how bad headphones can sound... not willing to go there again xP

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Senn HD-201, HD-202, or HD-203, or Audio-technica ATH-M10 or ATH-M20. Also, the Koss UR-40 just sounds gorgeous, and is affordable as well, although they're open-back so expect a lot of sound leakage and no isolation of you go with the UR40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back