External Sound Card with Guitar Input (Hi-Z) with a good quality DAC and amp section.
Oct 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

x5_spoonman

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am currently using my onboard realtek  sound chip to listen to audio, but the DAC sucks ass.
I can also use it to record guitar but the latency is too high and there is too much noise.

I need an external card that ouputs high quality audio, can drive demanding earphones (Starkey custom SA-43) and can accept an instrument input.

The USB interfaces such as the focusrite 2i2 seem like a good option but I am not too sure about the DAC and headphone amp section.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 5
I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 usb and it works quite well as a dac and reasonably good headphone amp (though I have no experience in how it handles multi-driver iems). In general, Focusrite gear is very well regarded. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I don't know if they're still selling it, but I have an M-Audio Firewire Solo. It has one 1/4" In (for a guitar cable) and one XLR for a mic, with phantom power. Obviously also has RCA inputs and a number of outputs and whatnot, including some very decent 1/4" outputs. It's quite portable as it can be powered trough the firewire cable, and can handle 24 bit / 96Khz audio, which is quite enough unless you're running a professional studio. The latencies I've experienced are quite low when the DAW is properly set up.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo.html

If you can't find it anymore I'm sure some other products in this price range could have what you need.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back