External power supply for portables
Aug 1, 2008 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Szat

New Head-Fier
What external power supply should be used with portables, are ordinary switch-mode wall warts enough? Any better than those (except the linear type ones with a transformer) would be considerably higher price. Is it overkill to go for any better than these for a portable amp?

I am looking for a supply for my Headsix and found this:
SF-41 Low-noise Linear Power Supplies for Antenna Accessories, and not sure if it would sound as good as using it with the battery.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 12
I use the Tekeon battery power supply. When I have serious listening I just unplug it and run from the battery and I do hear a difference as in a bigger soundstage and better dynamics when on battery vs using the Tekeon plugged in as it is then giving me power from the AC to DC converter. It is a great way to go but not cheap. I use two batteries in parallel but you can do fine with one and it is adjustable from 5 to 19 volts.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 12
I bought a Radioshack wall wart for use with my Headsix. It's the kind with the cord terminating in a socket to which you attach an appropriate plug (also from RS). I have found that it introduces a fluttery sound into my music, almost like a fast, fuzzy drumbeat: thudthudthudthud. Needless to say, it's useless to me.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm using PM85-44 Li-Ion external battery for Headsix and Portaphile V2^2 Max.
It has 11V nominal output (max 12.4V @ full charged) and also has 8V & 5V output (selectable).
I feel more transparency in both head amps rather using 9V battery.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Tekeon battery power supply. When I have serious listening I just unplug it and run from the battery and I do hear a difference as in a bigger soundstage and better dynamics when on battery vs using the Tekeon plugged in as it is then giving me power from the AC to DC converter. It is a great way to go but not cheap. I use two batteries in parallel but you can do fine with one and it is adjustable from 5 to 19 volts.

Looks like I'll be better of with a good rechargeable for now. From what I've heard here batteries beat cheap power supplies on SQ.
I would have thought that an external power supply would at least give better dynamics, since batteries have some impedance, but that's not the first thing I thought wrong...
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to pick up a rechargeable battery for my XXS.

Would something like this be ok: DealExtreme: $17.97 GP 9V Battery Charger and Rechargeable 9V Battery Set

Just purchase a couple of Energizer/Duracell 9V cells at the supermarket. My experience with these cells with my Move has been very positive. On an average daily usage of 30-60 minutes (high current mode), each of these cells lasts around 3 months and a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back