External amp usage with iriver ihp-1x0?
Dec 19, 2004 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
Need some advice from iriver ihp owners...

I've noticed that the "line out" level on my ihp-120 is affected (up and down) by volume level adjustments. I just bought the player (and I love it), but I'm kinda pissed that the "line out" is variable in this way. I had hoped it would be a fixed line out level, but oh well.

So my questions go out to those folks using their iriver "line outs" to feed an external headamp...

What volume level are you using on your iriver during this type of playback?

And...when you're listening, do you keep the iriver at a fixed volume level & only make volume level adjustments via the amp?

Lastly, I'm wondering if the "max" volume level on the iriver (level 40?) via the line out would make for an overly "hot" input level for a headamp...I sure wouldn't wanna potentially damage my SR-71 in this manner...

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Graz

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 14
I have an IHP 120 and sr-71. I put the volume at 25-30. Why not full volume? Because (1) battery drain, (2) too much treble/forward sound (IMO), and (3) w/ some portable phones, putting the volume at full vol. makes the signal too loud. I try to get the sr-71 dial to around 9 o'clock at least, since at around 6-8 there's a channel imbalance or something. (one channel is slightly or not audible) Which is normal for most internal/external amps, I think.

And I use the sr-71 to control the volume. And I also amp the H.out, but I did use the line out at first. Same rules apply more or less.

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 14
I use a ihp140 with a go-vibe amp.....

If you do some research here and at misticriver, you'll see two schools of thought on this. It's been documented in threads and "user testing" that a setting of 30-35 approximates a normal line out output. I usually use 30 or 31.

It's also been believed (and I don't know where this started) that putting the volume at full 40 is the best way to bypass any amplification circuitry and provide the cleanest signal. Many people do this as well.

I use option one (as kirosia said) to help with battery life.

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 14
I think it bypasses all amplification no matter what volume setting, but setting below 40 would attenuate the signal digitally before the DAC. Volume setting 40 is about ~0.733 Vrms which isn't much at all. Some CDPs put out 2 Vrms.

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 14
One thing I've noticed while my SuperMacro is in being upgraded/serviced: I have noticed some static coming through the optical line-out when listening to the iHP-120 through my Westone UM2's, with no amp. Is this normal? I went back to using the headphone output, but it's a little light on sound...

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
One thing I've noticed while my SuperMacro is in being upgraded/serviced: I have noticed some static coming through the optical line-out when listening to the iHP-120 through my Westone UM2's, with no amp. Is this normal? I went back to using the headphone output, but it's a little light on sound...

As you probably know, you're not using the optical when you do that....it's just plain lineout.

Mine crackles as well when listening with headphones directly out of the line-out. I wouldn't recommend that combination.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 14
Sticking phones in the line out is a no-no. Just don't.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the info, too.

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 14
I usually set volume to 25. If I'm stationary, I use amps volume control. While on the move, I usually set volume to comfourtable level and if I need to decrease it, I use remotes volume setting so I don't have to fiddle with the amp.

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
I think it bypasses all amplification no matter what volume setting, but setting below 40 would attenuate the signal digitally before the DAC. Volume setting 40 is about ~0.733 Vrms which isn't much at all. Some CDPs put out 2 Vrms.

I also have read (here and at misticriver) that by raising the volume to 40,
the lineout is supposed to sound its best. I agree. I don't see much battery
drain at this level, but I always have my User EQ enabled (amped and
upamped) and I normally recharge frequently that I don't really notice.

I am using a Xin SuperMacro with my H120 via the lineout, I encode to
LAME: "--alt-preset extreme," or to music that I listen to that I don't mind
full details I will encode to 192, anything lower and you can hear the sound
degregation through the SuperMacro.

With the User EQ enabled I can really hear the bass with my Etymotic ER4P's.

If I connect my headphones directly from my H120 lineout I don't hear any crackles, distortion, etc. (Using Audio Technicas ATH-A900, and Etymotic ER4P's.) <No I don't listen to my H120 with my headphones connected to the lineout.>

Quote:

And...when you're listening, do you keep the iriver at a fixed volume level & only make volume level adjustments via the amp?

Yes, I keep the H120 at 40, and just adjust the volume via the headamp.

Quote:

Lastly, I'm wondering if the "max" volume level on the iriver (level 40?) via the line out would make for an overly "hot" input level for a headamp...I sure wouldn't wanna potentially damage my SR-71 in this manner...

No, I don't think so. I know that the Xin SuperMacro and the SR-71 (from what I have read about it) are up to spec and can handle it pretty much.

Try different sources, maybe different interconnect cables, and you might
also notice a difference in sound better fitting to your liking.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 14
Hey rab10,

Good feedback...thanks. I've been running at level 40 into my SR-71 with no problems. Seems like the way to go for me...

I've compared it against my other sources, and at level 40 it's by no means hotter than any of my other line-out sources...in fact it's definitely less "hot" than the other sources I've tried. In additional, the end-result is very clean...not a trace of distortion or any indication that the amp is being overdriven by the source.

Peace,

Graz

Dec 21, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 14
graz,
have you noticed any additional battery drain yet? if you haven't, full volume really seems the way to go.

btw, i find it amusing that my hometown is your nick
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 14
Hey Riordan...I can't really comment on the battery drain. I generally listen in short sessions (walking back & forth to work...stuff like that). I haven't had a chance to see where the battery life limits are at this point (I've only owned my iriver for about 2 weeks).

Hmmmm...Graz, Austria...sounds like a cool place indeed...
icon10.gif

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back