Explorations in Space and Time
Jan 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

melomaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
who else here is already salivating in anticipation of this hi-rez (176-kHz/24-bit) or binaural download of percussion on head-fi?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20026650-47.html

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 33
Sweet
Can't wait for it to be available!~

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 33
am i the only one that finds 176kHz to be an odd sampling rate?
none of my gear is going to lock onto that signal, i'm afraid...

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 33
ow nice, thanks for sharing this link!

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
In the interest of full disclosure I occasionally do freelance work for Chesky Records and HDtracks, which will be selling high- and standard-resolution downloads of this music in early 2011.

Looks like that's all we have. I'm pretty excited for this as well.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 33
Because the genre of music they are producing in that article is far from mainstream.  It would be nice to have some good-sounding mainstream/pop/rock.  But everything that sounds good these days is weird stuff like classical, jazz, and other weird genres that not everyone is into.  Evidently the only way one can have class is to listen to that stuff.

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Because the genre of music they are producing in that article is far from mainstream.  It would be nice to have some good-sounding mainstream/pop/rock.  But everything that sounds good these days is weird stuff like classical, jazz, and other weird genres that not everyone is into.  Evidently the only way one can have class is to listen to that stuff.

One thing Head-Fi in general doesn't like is judgment. I personally disagree with that last sentence. I am very much into jazz and I'm probably the least classy person you'll meet.

I completely understand how it's not your thing though. Jazz is difficult to get into... if you can even get into it. If you haven't already, give it a try.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 33
I won't give it a try because I've heard it and I don't like it.  I especially don't like the selection of instruments and the way they're used.  Pink Floyd would be a lot more enjoyable without the constant saxophones and overall jazziness.  There is a reason certain music isn't mainstream, because it's not good.  It's a shame that the bad music sounds good and the good music sounds bad.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
I won't give it a try because I've heard it and I don't like it.  I especially don't like the selection of instruments and the way they're used.  Pink Floyd would be a lot more enjoyable without the constant saxophones and overall jazziness.  There is a reason certain music isn't mainstream, because it's not good.  It's a shame that the bad music sounds good and the good music sounds bad.

Just to be clear, that you don't like it doesn't make it "not good." I don't necessarily like Eminem but that doesn't make his music bad. You do realize that before rock/pop/hip-hop, etc. jazz WAS the mainstream music right? I think the current mainstream genres were in large part born out of a rebellion against parents/the establishment, etc.. Not out of a necessity to create "better" music.

How much jazz have you really tried? It might be the deepest and most varying genre out there and would take quite a while explore the many different flavorings of jazz. It certainly has a more established history than just about anything outside of classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back