Explain your avatar
Jan 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #721 of 3,006
Jan 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #722 of 3,006
Quote:
Interesting, are you 29?

I'm 22 and I grew up on Transformers and TMNT. I watched VHS tapes as often as I watched TV, and that's what we had on tape. And Gargoyles was awesome, I probably watched that on TV.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever used an Applebloom avatar, so I made a couple.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #724 of 3,006
Quote:
Nah not really.  So anyway, recommend me an anime then.

What kind?

Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey is probably a good anime for non-anime fans.  Outside of the art style its almost devoid of the usual anime tropes.  Useful to other people but probably not as much to you is that because it doesn't take place in Japan or a fictional setting with a pseudo-Japanese culture its easily accessible to non-Japanophiles.

Crest of the Stars and its sequel Banner of the Stars have those advantages as well.  Its a pretty cool sci-fi/space opera sort of thing focused on two main characters against the backdrop of a massive war.

The Twelve Kingdoms is a pretty awesome deconstruction of the usual "trapped/sent to an alternate world" storyline and shares many of those advantages as well.  Its sort of like if Tolkien had based his stories on Chinese and Japanese mythology instead of European mythology.

If you want to go more stereotypically anime I'm a fan of Shakugan no Shana and am probably only a few steps away from being a raging fanboy for Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

Those are some of my favorites.  I haven't really been following many new shows for the last several years though.  I'm a bit behind the times...

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #725 of 3,006

Quote:
What kind?

Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey is probably a good anime for non-anime fans.  Outside of the art style its almost devoid of the usual anime tropes.  Useful to other people but probably not as much to you is that because it doesn't take place in Japan or a fictional setting with a pseudo-Japanese culture its easily accessible to non-Japanophiles.

Crest of the Stars and its sequel Banner of the Stars have those advantages as well.  Its a pretty cool sci-fi/space opera sort of thing focused on two main characters against the backdrop of a massive war.

The Twelve Kingdoms is a pretty awesome deconstruction of the usual "trapped/sent to an alternate world" storyline and shares many of those advantages as well.  Its sort of like if Tolkien had based his stories on Chinese and Japanese mythology instead of European mythology.

If you want to go more stereotypically anime I'm a fan of Shakugan no Shana and am probably only a few steps away from being a raging fanboy for Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

Those are some of my favorites.  I haven't really been following many new shows for the last several years though.  I'm a bit behind the times...

Thank you so much for your signature. Great hitchens tribute.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #728 of 3,006

Yeah, very. 
Although when we take the public transportation, people stare at us all the time. Feels good, and uncomfortable at the same time. 
Quote:
     Quote:

It feels good to be in uniform, right?

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #729 of 3,006
Jan 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #731 of 3,006

Users who are viewing this thread

Back