1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Explain: Why do Vinyl with a Digital/PC source?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by Audman71, Aug 22, 2019.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6
Next

Last
  1. SilverEars
    I don't know if we can say narrow interest of today's listener as we have wider range of music available to us all as time goes on.

I think I become more open to new types of music as I get older. When I was younger, it was more about your image or the cool trendy stuff, but as I'm older, I'm liberated from those thoughts. So, I explore a lot more and wider. I listen to everything except heavy metal and mainstream country (I do like folk or tradition country), but also I'm not much of hiphop buff although I do enjoy some of it from time to time. I would say certain hiphop is difficult to relate lyrically given I didn't grow up in the hood, but I appreicate the style and art in some cases.

I think the digital age makes it much easier to explore all kinds of music, not being limited to what's available in the record stores. The market is more international as well, as the way Youtube influence what we are accessible to provides access to foreign stuff they wouldn't otherwise run into.

Globally, how large the audience influence the mainstream market. We have various cultural markets and some much greater in quantity vs others. The movie industry is influenced by this as well.

I do think however the mainstream music genre is currently different from the past, and it's changing as in the past. Do I think there is high quality art in them? No.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    turbomustang84 likes this.
  2. gregorio
    Unwittingly, you've answered your own question! :)

You haven't qualified "better" and an unqualified "better" means better in any respect (including fidelity). At the very least, as this forum is called Head-Fi and there are many audiophiles here, then it's more than fair to assume that "better for you" includes fidelity. And that's where we run into trouble, because in this respect vinyl is provably worse than digital. If you'd have said "I'm only saying I prefer vinyl" or "I'm only saying vinyl is better for me, for reasons other than fidelity" then no problem, that's entirely your choice.

G

3. bigshot
    I work with a lot of people in their 20s and you'd be shocked how they use the internet. They have the greatest library in the world at their fingertips and they spend all their time tweeting nonsense and not spending more than 30 seconds on any one thing. It's doesn't make sense, but I think that a lot of people don't know how to take advantages of the riches around them.

You get it. Collar a kid and explain it to him. That will make the future a better place.

We have three now! We can spread the word.

4. Audman71

Hey man, I’m 23 and I don’t fit that demographic. Most of the music I listen to comes from sites like Bandcamp. I often hate music that is popular at a given time, so I often scour the internet looking for alternatives. You wouldn’t believe how much awesome music you can find on the internet. It just requires a little digging around.

old tech likes this.
  5. taffy2207
    I've bought so much Music off Bandcamp (I'm 48), I'd probably have saved some money if I'd just bought Bandcamp itself :stuck_out_tongue:

:radioactive:Blatant SPAM post:radioactive: It's SPAM but not as we know it, Jim :nerd:

If you're up for some NYP stuff click the link in my sig :thumbsup:

* This post has been posted on recycled innernetz :recycle:

VNandor likes this.
  6. bigshot
    I work with artists, and one of the first thing I asked them is what their favorite music is. The answer is always "all kinds", so I ask them what their favorite opera is, or who is their favorite country western star, or big band, blues singer or piano concerto... I usually get blank stares. It turns out that "all kinds" means all kinds of rock music. Occasionally I find one who has gone to the trouble to look for music that doesn't fit the spotify algorithm.

7. Redcarmoose
    B461E891-12C8-4F0D-AC63-35FC9655A38F.jpeg

I always think of this record if someone mentions swap meets. Herb sold 6 million copies and they used to be everywhere.

nick n likes this.
  8. Redcarmoose
    I’ve spent $60K on music, though I look at as an investment in happiness.

old tech likes this.
  9. bigshot
    If you have more to invest in happiness... I know you're a fan of Tangerine Dream. The humongous new box set is on sale at Amazon Italy for $75 shipped to the US.

Steve999 likes this.
  10. Redcarmoose
    Not many bands can brag about 163 official album releases. I would guess only maybe Buckethead could brag about so many albums?
    https://www.shopsuperdeluxe.com/col...arch-of-hades-the-virgin-recordings-1973-1979

Though those main 7 albums (in the set) are undoubtedly their most loved. That’s a great point bringing up them as in the 1990s used Tangerine Dream vinyl was everywhere. There is also a large amount of live material (in the set) which is wild........considering how long ago that was.

Maybe very hard to find their first vinyl release....I picked up used on CD.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Meditation

F7130F94-1F13-4F0F-8681-AB3EA9F85D7B.png

One fascinating thing is how their first drummer went on to make a solo career almost eclipsing Tangerine Dream at their own game.

nick n and Steve999 like this.
  11. Steve999
    Never listened to them before. My parents did though (I remember one of the album covers in the blanket chest where our LPs were stored). Checking them out right now. . .on some song called Stratosfear. A sample of one so far, but very cool. Thanks all for referencing this. It’s sort of a very early precursor to modern EDM / trance / ambient?

12. Redcarmoose
    Technology it started out as Krautrock. Julian Cope has written the definitive book, but will not repress the book due to be being told there are mistakes in the book. The other book is called “A Crack In The Cosmic Egg” printed by the London Bookstore called Ultima Thule.

But there is a photo copy of his whole book which will explain the original Kraftwork band Tone-float and how this started. I’m not sure what genre name the US gave the eventual outcome other than simply “electronic”.

Steve999 likes this.
  13. Redcarmoose
    Steve999 likes this.
  14. megabigeye
    Priced at $858, it's obviously a book for audiophiles. What you call "mistakes," I would call "subjectively pleasing" and therefore "correct." I'll bet the pages are cryogenically treated and silver plated, but you'll never know because they won't release the specs.

Dang it. Redcarmoose beat me to it. Thanks a lot, @Redcarmoose.

Steve999 likes this.
  15. Redcarmoose
    Here is the old Cope book. Though the words fall off the page at times.

https://archive.org/details/Krautrocksampler

There may be better in German but it takes the cake as far as the English language story of the genre.

Steve999 likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6
Next

Last