Expert opinion needed
Nov 24, 2004 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Your expert opinion is needed. I would like to know what benefits (as well as you can describe them) could I expect if I use a portable headphone amp in the class of a Total Airhead (the sr-71 is far to expensive for me) using a line out via pocket dock with an ipod. I am currently using ety 6i with my ipod.

Also, for all the ety 4P users who also own the 6i’s how much better sounding (as best you can describe) are the 4P’s over the 6i’s, and what are the differences between the two? Do the 4P's fit the same as the 6i's, i.e. are the triple-flange tips the same size?

Thanks for your help.

ElectroJunkie

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 4
I recommend a well built MINT / PIMETA / Supermini / Supermono / Supermacro / DIY amp instead of the Headroom Airhead...they sound good but they are not worth the money.

Unlike the BIthead - they dont have any other "application" where they stand out as a step ahead of the competition.

You can contact a DIYer like JMT (www.jmtaudio.com) for a nice amp that costs a LOT less than the Headroom gear and sounds better to boot.

Cheers!

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 4
gsferrari has 1131 times more posts than ElectroJunkie.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 4
I think GSferrari hit the nail on the head. Any of the amps he mentioned are going to give you much better sound from your iPod.

When you use the iPods line out you are bypassing its cheap amplification circuitry and sending the signal to a much better set of cirucitry inside an external amp.

One note of caution though. If you are not using high bit rates to encode your MP3's (I'd suggest 256 Kbs or higher) you will likely start to notice flaws in the sound when you start using a good external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back