Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock, Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Madchester, Ethereal Wave, etc.) Appreciation Thread
Sep 21, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #106 of 464
Im going to put this out right now that i think My Bloody Valentine is the greatest thing to ever happen to the nineties. Not Oasis. Not Nirvana. Radiohead and The Verve come close. Cant beat Honey Power or Soon.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/5qC35UJSXlI[/VIDEO]

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #107 of 464
just discovered this one:

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #108 of 464
And a classic one :  frome legendary 4AD Collection LONELY IS AN EYESORE

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #112 of 464
I love interpol. Turn on the bright lights is one of the best albums ever.

Great debut yeah. I think my favourite is Antics, but the first three albums are all top notch IMO. First I'd heard of Interpol was when I saw them playing live - pretty much unknown back then, and supporting another band, I forget who - so I guess they made more of an impression than the main act!

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #116 of 464
AIC is my favorite band of the 90's.  "Facelift", "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies" are all in my top 50 albums of all-time.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #118 of 464
  AIC is my favorite band of the 90's.  "Facelift", "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies" are all in my top 50 albums of all-time.

Yeah, they were always my favourite grunge band of the period (if you can really call them grunge - I think they transcended the genre with Jar of Flies in particular, and Facelift has its roots in psychedelic rock). I know they reformed, and William DuVall does a passing good impression of Layne Staley, but it's like a fake watch. Dirt would certainly be in my top 10 albums of the 90s.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #120 of 464

Yeah, they were always my favourite grunge band of the period (if you can really call them grunge - I think they transcended the genre with Jar of Flies in particular, and Facelift has its roots in psychedelic rock). I know they reformed, and William DuVall does a passing good impression of Layne Staley, but it's like a fake watch. Dirt would certainly be in my top 10 albums of the 90s.

AIC put out another acoustic EP called "Sap".  It was between Facelift and Dirt.  It contains a couple classics in "Brother" and "You Got Me Wrong" as well as a couple throw away tracks.

The first post Layne Staley album had a few good songs but was pretty spotty, in my opinion.  The 2nd one is a better listen, but still a far cry from all the albums of the original lineup.  Cantrell has a great voice and I enjoy his playing but Layne Staley took AIC from a good band to an elite band for me.  Staley's voice was so powerful on the first couple albums yet you could hear the pain behind it as well. 

Agree about AIC being semi grunge at best.  I think AIC sounds as much like Black Sabbath as they do grunge.  Facelift has a Guns N' Roses influence as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back