Experiences with Bryston BHA-1 headamp?
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #46 of 157
A couple of comments here about no increase in volume between 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock? Did you experience the same?
There are 0 issues.

Well, there are 0 issues before 11:00 A.M. and after 3:00 in the afternoon :D

Seriously I read here on headfi that this was a known thing and that Bryston said it was normal but were also willing to fix it for individuals who didn't like it. I can't find the post now, of course :p

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #47 of 157
Well, there are 0 issues before 11:00 A.M. and after 3:00 in the afternoon :D

Seriously I read here on headfi that this was a known thing and that Bryston said it was normal but were also willing to fix it for individuals who didn't like it. I can't find the post now, of course :p
Well it's not an issue for me.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #49 of 157
I was never overly impressed with output on this amp myself. I always felt like when i turned it up not much happened. Running balanced increased the output and was IMO the only way to go with this amp.

This is just my opinion mind you. Your experience may vary.
Yes I only use it in se, but with my new abyss tcs arriving I will use balanced since that's the cable it comes with.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #53 of 157
No issues with volume pot bleeding (sound at 0)?

with regard to not getting response from the volume control between 11 and 3, i haven't had that problem -- the volume control is quite responsive. the bha-1 has a lot of power and can crank it out.

with regard to bleeding at zero, i have had that happen. extremely low level -- don't consider that an issue.

the big thing to know is that you need to take advantage of the flexibility built into the bha-1 -- use the low gain/high gain switch to meet your needs. if you're getting too little usable range in the volume control on high gain, then use low gain!

if you find that low gain still doesn't provide you with enough usable range, then you can have bryston switch a couple of resistors and reduce the overall gain by 12db -- this makes the high gain switch the equivalent of the low gain on a "normal" bha-1 and the low gain switch becomes "even lower" gain.

bryston designed the bha-1 this way so it can work with the easiest to drive headphones and the most difficult to drive headphones. imo, it's a great headphone amp.

bryston makes high quality, bullet-proof equipment and supports it with great service -- no doubt about it.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #54 of 157
I'm not sure bleeding at 0 is really the way to look at it. I have another amp that is almost loud enough for casual listening on high gain with the volume pot at 0 with one pair of headphones I have. The way I look at it is just a consequence of gain, the volume knob is not an off switch.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #55 of 157
with regard to not getting response from the volume control between 11 and 3, i haven't had that problem -- the volume control is quite responsive. the bha-1 has a lot of power and can crank it out.

with regard to bleeding at zero, i have had that happen. extremely low level -- don't consider that an issue.

the big thing to know is that you need to take advantage of the flexibility built into the bha-1 -- use the low gain/high gain switch to meet your needs. if you're getting too little usable range in the volume control on high gain, then use low gain!

if you find that low gain still doesn't provide you with enough usable range, then you can have bryston switch a couple of resistors and reduce the overall gain by 12db -- this makes the high gain switch the equivalent of the low gain on a "normal" bha-1 and the low gain switch becomes "even lower" gain.

bryston designed the bha-1 this way so it can work with the easiest to drive headphones and the most difficult to drive headphones. imo, it's a great headphone amp.

bryston makes high quality, bullet-proof equipment and supports it with great service -- no doubt about it.
It is the greatest amp.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #56 of 157
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #59 of 157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back