Experience with Sennheiser HV90 amplifier
Feb 19, 2007 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

complin

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience of using the Sennheiser HV90 amplifier that was designed for use with the Orpheus headphones?

I seem to think that the HV90 had a built in DAC?

Has anyone had the HV90 upgraded or modified in any way to improve prformance? (Do sennheiser offer any upgrade mods?)

All comment and experiences much appreciated.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes it has a DAC = SUX

Senn will check and maintain the HEV90 but I've never heard of them modifying one.

I believe people are so in awe of the amp that no one has ever attempted to modify it.

There are new amps for the HE90's that really perform and I'd personally be hessitant to change and HEV90.

1.JPG

Mitch

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had heard that some people had disabled the DAC in this amp for some reason?

The dac in the HEV90 was designed in early 1990s(91-92) & can be bypassed by a flip of a switch on the back of the HEV90.
Digital has improved since then so most who own a hev90 would use a external source(Dac) instead.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Long live the king ...
orpheus2.jpg

I have not had the hours of intimate listening some members have, but in the compaisons I have made, the HEV90 is my amp of choice so far. Admittedly, this is in 30 minute to 1 hour sessions, so I am looking forward to the National Meet in SJ for more ear time. So far the HEV90 bests the ES-1, Aristeaus, Blue Hawaii and Stax 007t, because of its overall uncanny combination of detail, prat and smoothness.

sennheiserhe90vorpheus46ht9.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of an HEV90 where you choose analog or digital inputs. I agree with previous posts that with today's dacs, the HEV90 dac is an anomoly.

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks Bozebuttons and agile_one for your comments.
Just a further question.
If you switch the DAC off does that mean you can ony use the analogue input with an external DAC, or is the optical input still available?
An idea where I can get an operating manual for the HA90?

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Bozebuttons and agile_one for your comments.
Just a further question.
If you switch the DAC off does that mean you can ony use the analogue input with an external DAC, or is the optical input still available?
An idea where I can get an operating manual for the HA90?

THe optical/coax input is only available if you use the internal dac.
Not sure about the manual as I don't have one,Maybe try senn site & see if they have a pdf file you can download,or maybe another member who owns a HEV90 may have it.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 8
OT - Is it just me or does the HEV90 look like something Liberace would use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back