expecting new arrival tomorrow - cosmic!
Jun 27, 2002 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

matthewd5

Head-Fier
well tomorrow the fedex person will be bringing me my brand new cosmic amp & bag

i was quite disappointed when it didn't come today...i ordered it fed-ex overnight but somebody screwed up and sent it second day.

sounds like a stupid thing but man is it frustrating when you finally pick what amp you want and then it takes an extra day!

so anyway...just had to share!

tomorrow sometime i'll be sitting at my desk at work plugging it into an nad 541 with my pbj cables and plugging in my senn-600 headphones!

i was pretty sure the cosmic was the amp i wanted but then i volunteered at the ny headphone stop and got to listen to EVERY single amp they had.

then i was confused.

it was down to either the cosmic or the maxed out home

i have a total airhead for portable use but having the option of taking the cosmic along in the nifty custom bag was the deciding factor!

matthew

Jun 27, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 20
The Cosmic was one of the best audio purchases I’ve every made, allowing me to get more pleasure out of my portable listening than I every thought possible. With the Cosmic and HD600 combination, my days in the office are a lot more enjoyable. Have fun!!

Jun 27, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 20
well i have my cosmic!

listening to it right now!

the only thing so far is that it's a pain to unplug from my office cd player to take it on the road...

i have a total airhead but i thought i would bring the cosmic with me to play with it since it is my newest toy.

i figure if it gets to be too much of a pain it will give me the excuse i need to get the base station power supply!

having fun playing with the gain settings.

for some music gain - high is great but then you change cd's and all of a sudden the bass is just too much!

so far i like bright or brighter for everything.

the bag is nifty, almost need a manual for the bag to get everything to fit just right.

matthew

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 20
Buy extra D-cells. It does suck up the batteries. The RCA are like that as stress relief. They are tough to unhook. I'm not sure about the Base Station. Also I was told the best sonic connection was still through the RCA's not the BS cable. ouare really going to love the Traveler bag too.

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
i have a total airhead but i thought i would bring the cosmic with me to play with it since it is my newest toy.

I remember having that exact same thought.
wink.gif
Today the only time I use the TAH is when I travel or for the very few situations where it is not practical lugging the Cosmic.

As lextek says, there will be a degrading of the sonics if using the Base Station One line feature over a direct connection. But I can't imagine it is very much and it may be worth it just for the daily convenience.

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 20
For $300 I can wrestle with the RCA's. I tried the BS! and did'nt hear a whole bunch of improvement. I did order a second wallwart. One stays in the bedroom the other in the Traveler.

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 20
thanks for the advice!

I already had a wal-wart on order for the total airhead and it arrived with the cosmic so i was happily surprised that they were both the same wal-wart!

i'm just wondering if unplugging the rca's often to switch between my straight wire for the portable and the pbj's for the nad 541 is going to wear out either the interconnects or the amp!?

matthew

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 20
Congratulations, matthewd5. My HD600s and Cosmic + Base Station One was my first major high-end headphone purchase. I've got everything tucked away in the HeadRoom Traveler bag. However, when I "vacation" with this rig now, I use my Ety ER 4P's with the 4S conversion cable.

Without question, the Cosmic is a world class transportable amp that will rival most any solid state home unit!

Enjoy,

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Hi all;

First of all-congrats on the cosmic/airbag-it's a great investment. Pick up some ER4S and you've got a state of the art system on your hip.

I'ma tad confused. It sseems from this thread that the chief benefit of the base station is convenience, not aural improvement from a cleaner signal. I have the cosmic and have been debating a base station-could some of you with both offer some comments?

I know i could buy a BS and try it for 30 days due to headrooms generous return policy, but I'm in canada, and shipping is high, and the thought of fighting with customs to get duty and import fees returned is unbearable.

Thanks

matthew

Jun 28, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 20
RCA jacks are not designed for daily use. If you are going to hook up your unit daily, buy or make an adapter to save the RCA jacks on your amp from the wear and tear. A 1/8 inch stereo headphone jack would be convenient for the computer. Alternatively, you could install a 1/8 inch jack on your amp.

Jun 29, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 20
at the world of headphone thing tyll told me that the base station would improve the quality of the sound quite a bit.

i guess one could try it with the rca's and then switch it to be the base station audio input.

i hate to lose the quality by putting some diy adaptor on the rca's when i use it at work connected to a pretty decent cdp via pbj's

matthew

Jun 29, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 20
My advice is give it a try. Let your ears decide. Also if it's works better for you with the one cable connection. I just got my second wallwart from Headroom today and a T-shirt. Great shirt.

Jun 29, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
at the world of headphone thing tyll told me that the base station would improve the quality of the sound quite a bit.

I believe he was referring to the much improved power supply, not the line in feature. The purpose of the Base Station One is to improve the PS to the Cosmic. The line in feature is secondary and merely a convince feature. The best-case scenario would be the Base Station One for improved power and a direct connect from the source to the Cosmic. But like I said the drop in the sonics when going from source to BS to Cosmic might be insignificant enough where it is worth the extra convenience of only having to attach the Cosmic to the BS and not the source. But someone who already has the BS would have to provide that analysis.

Jun 29, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 20
I tried the BS1 for less than 30 days. I never tried just using the BS1 cable for the audio input. I'm sure it would be pretty close sonically. As I've said before I really did'nt here that much of a difference betwwen battery pack, wallwart or BS1. Maybe my ears are shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back