Exofield Looks Very Interesting
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ebjarrell

100+ Head-Fier
I just came across a new (to me) technology called Exofield. Basically, it's a very high priced bit of software that allows headphones to decode information that then transforms the sound into that of an actual listening room instead of left and right sound.

As a dad in a busy house of girls, I could never have the pleasure of an actual listening room, or even listening peacefully in my own bedroom. As such, this sound very interesting.

Enjoy the article here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...oure-sat-in-front-of-massive-speakers-3295960

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 16
Ok I see your point, I think with A16 you can record the output which could be a work around.
But I would listen with my high end equipment at home on headphones to get the HiFi effect but to each their own.
Out and about on mobile I would not need the extra quality or the out of headphone experience, unless by the pool or relaxing but on holiday etc.
To each their own.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 16
Seemed interresting until I saw the price tag and all the woo associated...this part got me to close the browing tab:

"
As for hardware, you’ll be given some high-end audio equipment, so you can properly enjoy the studio’s acoustics. You’ll take home a fancy crate containing a headphone amplifier, the necessary cables, plus a special pair of headphones.
How special? They’re made of ‘Aquatimber’. This is vintage maple wood that’s been submerged for more than 160 years in Georgia Bay, the Great Lakes and other North American waterways. The wood ends up free of oxygen and hard as nails, which supposedly helps to reduce unwanted vibrations and produce a clear, natural sound.
"

aquatimber, really?

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 16
giphy.gif
aquatimber.

I do think it is the future of all headphone listening, but not at this price. I thought 3000$ was too much for the Smyth Realiser A8 at the time, and it's more advanced than what exofield does. sure having some convolution app on the cellphone and many presets seems cool, but not 3000£ cool. also on the go I use mostly IEMs :'(.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 16
giphy.gif
aquatimber.

I do think it is the future of all headphone listening, but not at this price. I thought 3000$ was too much for the Smyth Realiser A8 at the time, and it's more advanced than what exofield does. sure having some convolution app on the cellphone and many presets seems cool, but not 3000£ cool. also on the go I use mostly IEMs :'(.

I use my IEMs exclusively OTG as well. I think this Exofield is going to apply to an older demographic, maybe in a nursing home or something, that cannot have a big honking hi-fi system blaring.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Great find @Oregonian ! I think before we get to this stage, for gaming and new media we will probably see some standard implementation of spatialization DSP. It may be Dolby Atmos, which actually is quite good. The unique thing about Atmos is it works for gaming, for positional audio and can also be used for Blu-ray and new media. I do think they are using some sort of HRTF 'average' but that is still better than not simulating it at all. The issue with Exofield, at least from what it seems in this article, is that you need to be measured. While this may be the best, I think a middle ground may have people select from character model presets that may best approximate their idea of realism. Essentially, you'd calibrate yourself by listening to spatial audio media, and then trying out models that sound best to you. Just an idea.

As a gamer, I've been impressed with the audio for EA's Battlefront series (the new one coming out this Winter) as well as Battlefield. Blizzard used Atmos natively with OVerwatch and that works quite well.

Might be heresy to some, but I eventually feel that technology such as Exofield, will give us a better listening experience than speakers could (throw in some directional haptic feedback for low-end frequencies).

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 16
Does it have head tracking? I'm not impressed by binaural, so something that just adds room reflections isn't what I would want.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 16
I agree with your take on binaural. I've listened to lots of the Chesky stuff and generally don't find the imaging any more convincing than any number of well-recorded "mundane" productions. Ftmp, the binaural stuff just sounds like oddly balanced, often too quiet recordings...

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 16
The woman in the video got so fully immersed into the atmosphere of the jungle that her scarf disappeared.

About binaural, different people do it differently. Chesky uses a dummy head(no idea if it's been the same all this time), meaning that some of the HRTF may really improve the experience for some listeners and really mess it up for others. I think I tried 3 different albums from him and wasn't hooked. Then again, while I do crave for good room simulation on headphones, I typically do not seek the sound of live events. So I'm just not the right target for binaural records.

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 16
Other people may be closer to a dummy head than I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back