Excuse my ignorance, but why are HF-1s fetching so much cash lately?
Jul 14, 2008 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30
Hi all,

I've been a Head-Fier for years now, but I've hardly ventured away from the Music/Off-Topic forums for the last couple years. After lots of research, I bought some HD-580s, HF-1s, E2Cs and KSC-75s and decided to never look back, for the sake of my wallet. So it goes without saying that I am wayyy out of the loop as far as headphones go.

The other day I noticed in the For Sale/Trade forums that the HF-1s are fetching anywhere from $350 to $450, which is kind of surprising since they initially cost $200 at the time of release.

Now, I don't mean to criticize the fact that they are selling for this amount, whatever price they command, that's cool. But I'm just kind of curious what makes the HF-1s so sought after these days... is it because they are limited edition, a piece of Head-Fi history, a collector's item? Or is it because the quality of the phones puts it in that price range?

Thanks guys. And it's nice to be back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 30
a few reasons:

1) no one sells them cheaper, because it's not worth it to them to do so (basic economics)
2) limited edition
3) among the best osunding of grados models
4) scales REALLY well with some modifications

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the demand curve has shifted to the right and the supply curve has remained fairly inelastic.

The supply curve shifts to the left - whenever people who are somewhat of collectors and are fairly well off get hands on these, its basically one more gone from the stock of headphones that shall be sooner or later traded on the market.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 30
Perceived quality via posts......though not necessarily a correct perception. IMO the original pricing was correct within $50. Last year, a friend sold hers (on eBay) for aprox $250 - they had been sitting in a closet whilst she used her Beyer dt990/600, and Sensaphonics. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for them. My commonly-used choice of the family is Alessandro MS Pro/flats/tube amp.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perceived quality via posts......though not necessarily a correct perception. IMO the original pricing was correct within $50. Last year, a friend sold hers (on eBay) for aprox $250 - they had been sitting in a closet whilst she used her Beyer dt990/600, and Sensaphonics. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for them. My commonly-used choice of the family is Alessandro MS Pro/flats/tube amp.

I'd have to agree...I prefer the 225's by a large margin...

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perceived quality via posts......though not necessarily a correct perception. IMO the original pricing was correct within $50. Last year, a friend sold hers (on eBay) for aprox $250

Agreed - The RS-1 is better and can be found used for the same price.

These are rare like the PS-1s - that's mostly why I'd guess both of these headphones are priced beyond what they should be IMHO

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 30
After some relatively simple modifications, I much prefer the hf1s to RS1s, PS1s, etc. I think grado outdid himself with the HF1 drivers.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go

I think you've sloped the curve backwards, unless you're making an unexpected argument.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you've sloped the curve backwards, unless you're making an unexpected argument.

No he did not. Its quantity supplied vs quantity demanded, nothing to do with prices, lol. Not a graph that is relevant to the argument at all...basically ignoring prices (letting them vary freely), oversupply will make people buy more as prices drop, but not massively more. Noone needs two pairs of HF-1s per say...

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 30
I'll get a GS-1000 with BlackGold cable this or next week (I think next week is more realistical though) and will compare it to my Headphiled HF-1. Depending on which I'll like more will be the keeper, and the other one will be sold.

Even if I like the HF-1 alot I'm 90% sure that I'll keep the GS-1k though. I hope not that _have_ to keep them both.... oh damn you head-fi... my poor wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back