Exclusive: LD MKVI Reviewed!!
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moreover, David changed the transformer to suit US voltage so there's no longer the hum.

Seriously? Wow, that's nice then. I wasnt informed of this until now.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #47 of 55
Pretty sure. This is what he said in the emails:
Quote:

Just to let you know, your Little Dot MK VI will have the newer toroidal transformers that handle "higher than normal" outlet voltage better, which will translate into longer tube life. All new Little Dots shipping to N. America have been transitioned to this new transformer. I'll have your tracking number shortly.

Best Regards,
David

Quote:

Yes, the issue with toroidal transformers is, while they are great for high-end audio applications (i.e. you'll never see a switching power supply in an analog audio device) from a sound quality standpoint, the transformer itself will vibrate due to the nature of electric-magnetic-electric conversion. All toroidal transformers will have some humming, but it varies from nearly inaudible to audible across a room. Two things that can significantly increase the level of audible hum are DC in the mains and/or higher than expected voltage. Previously we used 115V/230V toroidal transformers but since reports of grid voltages approaching 130VAC in the USA, we've since changed to 120V/240V transformers, which should resolve the issue. Of course a very, very small percentage of customers report such hum, and it really just depends on your local grid voltage.

Best Regards,
David

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I have been away from home (and my LD6) for 3 weeks, but will be back this weekend. I will further look into the hum issue. I will probably try to plug it into eletrical isolators and such. As for comparison, if you can tell me which manufacturer sells a complete balanced tube amp for $700, please let me know.

What I mean to ask is if there a review that compares with amp to others in it's class. Perhaps this isn't defined by price and perhaps it isn't defined as including balanced only. I'm in the market for a tube amp. My floor standing rig is balanced, so I'm inclined to go with the MK VI as I appreciate how much better a balanced system can sound, but I sure would like to know how much better this is compared to say the 3322 and how much better an RSA Raptor might be.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with the question. I just thought maybe I'd missed a review and someone could point me to it.

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for comparison, if you can tell me which manufacturer sells a complete balanced tube amp for $700, please let me know.

Not many I am afraid, but I believe it should be at least compared to the budget balanced amps alternatives on the market like:

- RudiStor NX-33
- HR Desktop balanced amp
- DIY B22

Looking forward to reading further impresions
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #52 of 55
Ahh for those with the moolah! Nice review there; and a nice looking amp.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #53 of 55
So, is there any reason NOT to use 3 pin XLR to RCA adapters on the preamp outs and a 4pin xlr to single ended adapter to use SE cans?

I can't see that much of a use for the latter but I'm very tempted to pick up an LD6 in silver and if I can make use of the pre-outs on the back to connect to a speaker power amp this would swing the decision significantly.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #54 of 55
No answer?
Was this February's daftest question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back