Excellent budget network streamer that solves the noisy computer environment problem
Aug 25, 2014 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dan.gheorghe

1000+ Head-Fier
I've stumbled upon an excellent network streamer, and a budget one too. 

sotm-sms-100-review-3.jpg
a

It's called  SOtM sMS-100. I don't think it has a competition at that price. You can call it a lan to usb converter if you wish. 

It really improved the sound in a lot of ways from resolution, transparency to soundstage and imaging. The sound becomes more alive, better contoured and it also adds a very nice natural fluency that makes the sound flow effortless. 

It can solve the noisy computer problem too, as it has the possibility of running of a linear power supply. This will get you clean USB in both signal and 5v. 

Besides this, it is a very useful little gadget, especially if you have speakers. You just insert it in your network and you can play music off your mobile phone/tablet. 

I've written a full review about it here.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 7
That is about what a dedicated music computer would set you back. I have one based on the Intel DN2800 motherboard + Paul Pang USB v2 card + Win Server 2012.

Peter

Could you please tell us the full configuration, including power source, case, etc. ?

I would need a more powerful computer, a true desktop horse. I don't want to have a separate computer for the music only, at least for now.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Certainly. But my music player is based on a lowly Atom CPU, which I'm not certain will be able to handle dsd. Not a problem for me a I only have 2 dsd albums.
If you want a more muscular music playet/streamer with USB out to a DAC, you need to consult another source than me.

My computer player is very lean and dedicated to playing back redbook and hi res files (to 192/24).

CAPS music server assembled and working:
Mini itx case M350 (front usb board disconnected)
DN2800mt fanless motherboard
2x4gb Crucial so-dimm 1300 ram blocks
2.5" cruciak 128gb SSD mSata drive
Win Server 2012
JRiver 19 Media Center and Server (set for automatic start)
Paul Pang USB card v2
Cense Linear Psu (12v 2.5a) to power motherboard
TERALINK linear psu 5v 2.5a powers Paul Pang USB card
Small work Bench Linear supply 5v 1a usb power for Nuforce u192s usb/spdif converter via special Paul Pang USB splitter cable
---
Opera browser
---
JPlay remote on Ipad and Iphone for access to JRiver Server
Gizmo on Android phone (OnePlus One)

Synology 209+ NAS (music server) + Zyxel NSA325 (back-up)
---
Disabled: Microsoft Media Center/Media Player + Internet Explorer and as many superfluous features as I can disable.

Best wishes
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back