Exact Audio Copy Freedb(Database) problem?
Sep 5, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, I'm perplexed and frustrated. I like to rip CD's to .flac using EAC, as its a high-quality ripper. I've used it to rip all my existing CD's and any subsequent additions I may of purchased since I decided to get back into litening to music- in doing so, becoming a fully fledged audiophile for firt time- back in April this year.

At first, though it would still only hit say one in 4 or 5 CD's, it would still manage to link up to freedb.org and return information on some CD's. However, over say my last 2-3 ripping sessions, it returns bupkiss, ziltch. Out of approx the last 75 CD's I've ripped with it its returned nothing, many of which, are renound artists/material, and by no means subversive, small or little known so I would of expected a fair amount of hits. I've looked into it, got a grip on EAC's automatic ID3 tagging mechanism ie linking and communicating with freedb.org, and checked all this is how should be and, according to the freedb site, it is, but still no returns. I dont get it
confused.gif
. I've got the freedb application/EAC, pointing at http://freedb.freedb.org:80http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi. and configured to, in the event that this doesn't work, it then tries other servers but still no joy! Any ideas as to why this still isn't working? Am I just overlooking something?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 10
Happens to me all the tie, particularly with obscure or various artist compilations. I cannot recall what I did, but one CD would not register with freedb so I clicked a link to the website and somehow, the CD was found, and it then appeared in EAC. Maybe someone else who has gone through this process can explain it better. Your default option is to tag the music manually.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happens to me all the tie, particularly with obscure or various artist compilations. I cannot recall what I did, but one CD would not register with freedb so I clicked a link to the website and somehow, the CD was found, and it then appeared in EAC. Maybe someone else who has gone through this process can explain it better. Your default option is to tag the music manually.

Am I following you correctly? Are you saying, cos you say it happens to you frequently, that you, by chance, clicked a button aand got it to work for you on one occasion, or is this something you can now do on all ocasions and/or you have secured a permanent link between EAC and freedb? Also, when you say 'your default option is to input manually, are you meaning this was what I can do in worst case scenario ie that option is alway open to me, or, that I have the program (EAC) set to this configuration somehow? Thanks for help btw
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 10
Have you tried removing and reinstalling EAC? I'd bet something is overlooked, but don't know what it could be. Do you use a proxy server for ou Internet connection? I don't know if that would affect it, just thinking of what could be causing the problem.

Did anything change with your Internet settings or provider recently?

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried removing and reinstalling EAC? I'd bet something is overlooked, but don't know what it could be. Do you use a proxy server for ou Internet connection? I don't know if that would affect it, just thinking of what could be causing the problem.

Did anything change with your Internet settings or provider recently?

No, I don't use a proxy server. The only thing I can recall changing with regards my Interent settings or provider recently is a change of broadband modem we have had implemented, a replacement for a faulty old one. I suppose this could be doing something to disrupt the connection between EAC and freedb.org/the internet. It had crossed my mind to reinstall it but I think I just wanted to understand what was going wrong here. I'll try that I think and uninstall it and then reinstall it and see what becomes of it. Thanks for your input!

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleColin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the problem was with the request EAC was making to freedb so I wrote a utility to fix it and uploaded it to codeplex:

A rather simple C# program. I may give it a try.

I'm on a filtered internet connection. The filtering borks the HTTP request from EAC to freedb. I don't know why, but whatever the filtering is doing it is messing up that particular HTTP request.

My solution has been to run TOR/Vidalia as a proxy for EAC. It works. Gets around the problem of the ISP filter borking the HTTP request.

To use TOR/Vidalia set EAC freedb access to use a proxy server
Proxy Server: 127.0.0.1
Port: 8118 (the default HTTP port for TOR/Vidalia)

Your little program probably uses less resources than TOR/Vidalia and less complicated to set up. I wonder if your little fixer program would fix the problem I have with the ISP filter system borking the EAC freedb access?

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 10
My freedb has not been working in EAC at all for many months. I found a workaround by installing Player which is linked to the Gracenote database. Whenever a CD needs to be ripped, I pop it in, fire up Player, get the details from Gracenote and use the export to cdplayer.ini function. It's an extra step, yes, and would have been nicer if EAC's integrated freedb worked, but I don't find it a hassle and the Gracenote database has worked extremely well, even with odd/obscure/rare CD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back