ex Klipsch S4 owner looking for something new!
Apr 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jyoder13

New Head-Fier
I used to own a set of Klipsch s4 headphones. I had them for about 4 years and never had problems with their durability, not until my cat chewed them up recently... I enjoyed them, so I was just going to go with another pair but then I realized I was missing out on ALL kinds of different options. 

I don't want to spend too much, let's say $50-$150. I work for Crutchfield, so I get an employee discount on the headphones they carry. I could do headphones they don't sell but I can do a better set like $200-$300 from Crutchfield for around the $150 mark. Anyway, I'll tell you what I'm looking for:

The Klipsch I had I liked a lot. I never thought the bass was muddy or too overbearing (despite a lot of peoples opinions on this forum), the mids I liked a lot and the treble left a little to be desired. I was always popping my ears hoping to open them up to gain a little more clarity. I liked the extra bass they offer, to me it made the sound a little more full but by no means am I a bass head. I LOVE my Sennheiser HD280's. If there was an exact sound replica for iems I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Music I listen to could be Hardcore-Metalcore bands like Evergreen Terrace, Darkest Hour, Comeback Kid, Between the Buried and Me, Catherine. Or a lot lately Folk/Rock bands like Damien Jurado, James Vincent McMorrow, Griffin House, Bob Sneider. Some Jazz/Vocal like Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr, Tony Bennett. Or Blues BB King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy. I am also a drummer so when I listen to music I focus mainly on how the drums sound. 

My choices are Sony XBA 1 or 2 or 3, HifiMan RE-0 or RE-272, Paradigm Shift E2 or E3, AKG K375, Harmon Kardon AE, B&W C5, Klipsch X7, Sennheiser IE 60, Monster PRO Copper, Grado GR8 or GR10. Also I've been highly considering Shure 215.

So like I mentioned before, strong bass, you can feel the kickdrum, smooth mids, vocals nice a present without being too aggressive (I actually prefer less mid then way too much), and brilliant highs, not ear piercing or fatiguing. Thank you for any recommendation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back