1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal.

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by evshrug, Jan 17, 2013.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last
  1. pack21
    Hi @Evshrug,  [​IMG]

Why haven't you call my attention that i already have this adapter from my Etymotic ER-4PT? [​IMG]

So, i assume that with this adapter i can safety use any Sensitive/low impedance IEM in X7 i just bought today, right? 

[​IMG]

PS: kidding. :)

2. Evshrug
    ^ I mean, years ago I considered making one. I caught that you're kidding, but honestly I haven't tried using one. UE has something similar for like $10. The question is, does this really improve output dampening so a sensitive IEM "sees" a lower "output" impedance, or is it really just increasing the load on the amp (and the headphone "sees" now an 80-ohm output impedance)? Idk for sure.

3. conquerator2
    I stand corrected. I've been using the X7 as a dedicated DAC with my SA31SE with both games in SBX and music without and I gotta say, it kicks some serious Schiit. Musical, dynamic but still has a fairly good amount of detail.
    Pretty good!
    [I am using it in absence of my sold NFB-7 while waiting for my Gungnir] This is actually a pretty good stand-up for the time being, indeed!

4. RRod

From what I've read the location of the resistors in the ER-4P are such that putting an extra on the end is essentially the same as adding impedance to the IEMs and "turning them" into the 4S. This is harder when it comes to replicating the 4B due to the extra capacitor in the latter.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/p2b-adapter-for-etymotic-research-er-4p.html

I have gotten alternative opinions that the adapter adds to the output impedance of the amp, which would seem to do the opposite of what people want. So I'm still just as confused as you are :frowning2:

5. Evshrug
    We need access to scholarly documentssss!

6. bigbeard
    Can the x7 decode dts? Seems like a poor decision, if it can not.

7. conquerator2
    It can't unfortunately.

8. bigbeard
    Do some of you think it would be worth it if i buy a dts decoder for the ps4?

can i hook up a decoder to the ps4, then hook the decoder up to the x7, so sound goes through the high quality dac for sound fidelity?

9. Stillhart

At that point, why not just get an AVR?

10. conquerator2
    Isn't the DSP inferior most of the time? Apart from the few that support DH or other decent DSP implementations, but those aren't very common.

11. bigbeard
    I already have an x7

12. Stillhart

Inferior in that it doesn't give as good positional accuracy, perhaps.  But inferior SQ?  Don't know.  I'm still trying to figure out why you'd want to downmix DTS to stereo instead of using Dolby virtual surround, I just assumed it was for SQ.

Good reason.  But if you just want good stereo sound, you can send already send stereo through the X7.  No need to add a separate device to downmix DTS.

13. bigbeard
    I use my x7 solely for my ps4. I dont want just stereo sound, i want dts surround.

14. Stillhart

So you want to hook up a device that converts DTS to Dolby and the hook that up to a device that decodes Dolby into SBX.  That doesn't seem like it would give better sound than just using Dolby in the first place.  But I'm all for your experimenting and letting us know!  It'd be pretty cool if it worked.

15. bigbeard
    i don't understand. why would i convert DTS to dolby? The ps4 has an option to output either. Doesn't DTS send 5.1 audio just as dolby would? Am i wrong? I know for certain that DTS offers sound with less compression.

First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last