"Evidence of Present Life on Mars "...
Feb 17, 2005 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
... http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...fe_050216.html

Amazing...

eek.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 19
Not surprising to me, FWIW. What do we know about life here on earth? Where it can exist it does. Even at the bottom of the sea floor, away from all sunlight, living off the volcanic vents at temperatures that would fry you and me.

What does this say? If we can find life on just the next planet over from us, this indicates that life is probably ubiquitous, not some ultra-rare virtually impossible phenomenon restricted to a one-time accident here on planet earth. It suggests that life is plentiful out there in space, and that the odds of the existence of thousands if not even millions of intelligent civilizations is greatly increased.

Are they coming here? Have they found us? What will happen if/when they make themselves known? What does this do to the major religious/philosophical systems?

Can we handle the truth?
eek.gif
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 19
I'd just like to point out that at this point it is just speculation and just that. I'm an avid space.com, and other physics/science fourms reader and until there is conclusive DIRECT -- and not indirect proof from methane/grouped matter -- I will not get my hopes up...let just hope their RIGHT!

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 19
Any form of life in outer space will have a major impact on human civilization... A small example is the debate that it can generate in religious institutions.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 19
Very interesting article; and it makes a good point. If life on earth like archaeobacteria which live in conditions that would kill any other form of life, then I'm sure life can exist in other places with similar harsh conditions.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 19
Interesting and very timely since the recent landing on Titan.

I always wonder if bacteria from Earth's space crafts are contaminating the planets that we send craft to. Maybe it doesn't matter. I don't know, but it gets me thinking that if there was intelligent life somewhere else in the universe then they may have accidentally contaminated Earth in the same way millions of years ago and this contamination may have caused life on Earth.

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I don't know, but it gets me thinking that if there was intelligent life somewhere else in the universe then they may have accidentally contaminated Earth in the same way millions of years ago and this contamination may have caused life on Earth.

there's a wonderful book developing that theory in detail. no, it's not the bible. hint: the answer is 42...

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 19
What's really sad is that this is old news.

If you dig through the Viking lander data, you will see that Viking had a test specifically for determining if there was life present in the martian soil.

The test involved scooping up some soil, and using a chemical sniffer to look for the by-products of metabolism - stuff like methane, amonia, oxygen, and CO2 coming off of the soil. Then, they heated the soil to something like 300 degrees C (which would kill the biological material), and then rechecked with the sniffer to see if the chemical signature was gone.

What did they find? The soil gave off methane before being heated (indicating biological metabolism), and no methane after being heated. The logical assumption is that there was life present, which gave off the methane, and the heat killed the lifeforms, so no metabolism was occuring afterwards.

What did NASA classify this as? A sensor anomaly, even though all of the self-diagnostics on the Viking lander checked out perfectly. Like I said, this is old news that has been ignored since the 70's.

Maybe this "new" news will prompt enough interest to fund a mission which actually brings back some soil samples.

BPRJam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back