EVGA Nu Audio soundcard
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 259
I would like to see some reviews on how well the Nu-Audio drives different headphones.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 259
I was curious about this too and it was what brought me to this section. I haven't had a sound card in many, many years. Is it better than a desktop DAC/amp? I have NO idea.

Time to start readin' and learnin'.

Shane D

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 259
I was curious about this too and it was what brought me to this section. I haven't had a sound card in many, many years. Is it better than a desktop DAC/amp? I have NO idea.
Time to start readin' and learnin'. Shane D
I think for under $200 cost, you could parts pick your way to an external DAC and external head amp, that most could be happy with.
Great if you listen to music audio, using something like Foobar2000, with WASAPI, which (can) bypasses sound card features anyway.
I'm guessing for a lot people, their computer audio listening, is in a stereo 2.0-channel listening (even their gaming, like me).

A Creative SB-Z card (used $65), makes a good low cost (but still good sounding) DAC/amp (for it's price), for driving my 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

But I myself have been drawn into the cult of the "External DAC/amp", and I'm not sure I would ever leave this cult.

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 259
I think for under $200 cost, you could parts pick your way to an external DAC and external head amp, that most could be happy with.
Great if you listen to music audio, using something like Foobar2000, with WASAPI, which (can) bypasses sound card features anyway.
I'm guessing for a lot people, their computer audio listening, is in a stereo 2.0-channel listening (even their gaming, like me).

A Creative SB-Z card (used $65), makes a good low cost (but still good sounding) DAC/amp (for it's price), for driving my 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

But I myself have been drawn into the cult of the "External DAC/amp", and I'm not sure I would ever leave this cult.

I know this is probably too simplistic, but...
Would this sound card, added to my motherboard, power speakers/headphones better than a desktop DAC/amp.

I have been running a Bose 2.1 system for about 8 years out of the back of my computer out of a 3.5mm port. I always thought the sound was okay. But the last few years has seen my climb up the headphone ladder and the computer needs to keep up.:L3000:

Thanks!

Shane D

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 259
I know this is probably too simplistic, but...
Would this sound card, added to my motherboard, power speakers/headphones better than a desktop DAC/amp.
I have been running a Bose 2.1 system for about 8 years out of the back of my computer out of a 3.5mm port. I always thought the sound was okay. But the last few years has seen my climb up the headphone ladder and the computer needs to keep up.:L3000:
Thanks! Shane D
The older the motherboard, the more reason to get the SB-Z card (or Ext. DAC/amp), as your getting a better DAC function, which hopefully betters the sound from the Bose.
Hopefully in the future you will do what I did, replace the 2.1 setup with a pair of studio monitors (2.0), for the clarity of the audio.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 259
I contacted my computer guy and he said that board already has 7.1 and DAC built in. I need a pair of powered speakers to surpass the Bose?

Edited as info comes in.:relaxed:

So, would A5+ blow away the Bose Companion 3 set-up? With no sound card or exterior amp/dac.

Also, motherboard is about 3-4 years old.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 259
I contacted my computer guy and he said that board already has 7.1 and DAC built in. I need a pair of powered speakers to surpass the Bose?
Edited as info comes in.:relaxed:
So, would A5+ blow away the Bose Companion 3 set-up? With no sound card or exterior amp/dac.
Also, motherboard is about 3-4 years old. Shane D
Do you know the make and model number of the motherboard?

Check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, ($170).
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500

I'm think it would be worth it to spend $60-$70, for a DAC,
but I guess it depends on the make and model of the motherboard.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 259
How about something with an amp and DAC built-in? I am guessing that is what Bose is, but of course they put out NO details on their products.

The A5+ looks interesting, but pricey.

Shane D

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 259
I've got one of these coming tomorrow, the headphone amp looks pretty monsterous for a pice card, from my calculations with the specs, its 2 watts @ 16 ohm and the audio note element should be top notch if it's in line with the rest of their stuff. Gonna get the LCD-4's on it and see how it stands up.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 259
I've got one of these coming tomorrow, the headphone amp looks pretty monsterous for a pice card, from my calculations with the specs, its 2 watts @ 16 ohm and the audio note element should be top notch if it's in line with the rest of their stuff. Gonna get the LCD-4's on it and see how it stands up.

If your motherboard handles the sound could you just plug this in or would you have to change motherboards?

Shane D

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 259
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 259

Will you be running any speakers off of it? Passive or powered?

Thanks.

Shane D

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 259
Will you be running any speakers off of it? Passive or powered?

Thanks.

Shane D

I’ve got a few powered sets, but the calibrated Genelec 8351’s and the HEDD type 20 normally show up most of the details that are there. Have got a Chord Hugo, a Audeze Deckard and an Antelope Orion Studio to compare with on the DAC front in the room already. Am looking forward to this test, have got an antelope satori set up as an analogue switcher so should be able to do some realtime a/b/c tests with the other DAC’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back