Ever Since I Joined Head-Fi I Stare at People's Headphones
May 4, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #61 of 159
i have yet to see any IEMs or headphones better than the ones i own, which is pitiful considering that i own entry level audio gear. despite living in an affluent community, no one seems to care about audio much. not among my peers at the very least. i stare at (and scoff) the poor souls who own horrible, horrible earbuds which they believe are the epitome of awesome.

May 4, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #62 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by lauinbeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have yet to see any IEMs or headphones better than the ones i own, which is pitiful considering that i own entry level audio gear. despite living in an affluent community, no one seems to care about audio much. not among my peers at the very least. i stare at (and scoff) the poor souls who own horrible, horrible earbuds which they believe are the epitome of awesome.

Hit the nail right on the head. I totally agree.

May 4, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #63 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit it. It's true. I can't help it. Can you?

The other day, this burly guy packing biceps the size of my face threw me a look of venom when I stared at his V-Modas for one second too long. He looked like he was ready to give me customs by punching my 530's directly into my skull. On another occasion, a woman thought I was a child predator because my gaze lingered on her daughter's Bose In-Ears. I left the train, because I was so ashamed.

I can't help it, and I was wondering if I'm the only one with this problem. I try just to "notice" what IEMs the woman in front of me is sporting, and then that turns into "staring" because I can't figure out whether she has an SE310 or an SE420. And it's only after moving around a bit, or stepping in front of her, that I realize that it's an SE310. And that she's a dude.

What a life.

That is hilarious!!!

May 4, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #65 of 159
i tend to do this too!
even before head-fi...but it got worst after joining head-fi!
juz like most of you...all i see are white ibuds in the gym...and nothing else!
if it looks weirder than the white ibuds...i'd move in closer to see just what is that fella using...

May 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #66 of 159
Suggestion: Do wear shades or black spectacles when doing the spying job
smily_headphones1.gif
, and pretending texting with your handphone. Even better dressed like MIB (Man In Black).

I do look other people's earphones during commuting by train, but here in my country, most of them are the boring default earbuds. Not even see any IEMs yet. Here, phones are VERY expensive due to tax and low income. So not hoping much
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #67 of 159
Yep Headfi's fault for making people think I have a stareing problem

May 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #68 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, affirmative
biggrin.gif
, cant say i've spotted anything interesting here yet though, whenever I get involved in a conversation with a stranger about my IEMs they innevitably say something like 'wow, I bet those are expensive, probably not as expensive as bose though hey?' to which I usually mutter something under my breath.

lol. My mates think I'm pretty strange by spending more on IEMs then $20. A guy at my school noticed I was using IEMs, and asked what they were - I said "UE Super Fi. 5s" to which I was met with a blank look. I asked him what he used only to notice his Bose in-ears. lol. Then he asked how much mine were - lol.

Anyway, yeah I've started to notice. Pretty much everyone uses iBuds or cheap Sony/Phillips/etc plastic buds.

May 4, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #69 of 159
Quote:

My mates think I'm pretty strange by spending more on IEMs then $20.

myne too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #70 of 159
As the only Head-fi'er in my very small hometown, there is no one else here who wears headphone on the street that I can stare at. Instead, they stare at me.
wink.gif

May 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #72 of 159
I do this all the time! I got all excited when I was waiting in line for a chicken bake at Costco when I saw this guy wearing UM1's!!! I didn't ask him about it, now that I think about it, he probably wouldn't have heard me :p

May 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #73 of 159
Yeah, I've started noticing people's headphones, though most of them are ibuds or stock mobile phone and mp3 player buds. Only thing as expensive as mine I've seen is someone at my college who had Beats.

May 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #74 of 159
Same here. i tend to look at people's headphones when i'm in a mall, trying to identify what earphones, how many drivers, balanced armatures or dynamic drivers, in-ear, circum aural, supra aural... Sometimes STARING at "HEADPHONE CELEBRITIES"! (those wearing high end, expensive 'phones.

May 4, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #75 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit it. It's true. I can't help it. Can you?

The other day, this burly guy packing biceps the size of my face threw me a look of venom when I stared at his V-Modas for one second too long. He looked like he was ready to give me customs by punching my 530's directly into my skull. On another occasion, a woman thought I was a child predator because my gaze lingered on her daughter's Bose In-Ears. I left the train, because I was so ashamed.

I can't help it, and I was wondering if I'm the only one with this problem. I try just to "notice" what IEMs the woman in front of me is sporting, and then that turns into "staring" because I can't figure out whether she has an SE310 or an SE420. And it's only after moving around a bit, or stepping in front of her, that I realize that it's an SE310. And that she's a dude.

What a life.

The whole post is witty, but these passages made me laugh aloud, and that hadn't happened to me in... weeks, I believe. You, sir, have talent.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back