Ever had a cable suddenly die for no reason?
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
Tonight I came home, started some dinner, and flipped on my tube amp/cdp to get warmed up. When food was ready I sat down to eat and popped my HD580s on my head but was horrified by sound only coming from the left side. It had been raining and lightning strikes had been causing power flashes, but my system is plugged into an APC ups so I felt safe, but when I heard this I feared the worst, that my amp or cd player had been killed, both from china so shipping it back and forth for a repair really wasn't an option. I then tried my headphones on another source and was sort of glad to narrow it to my headphones. I then tried swapping the connections of the cable and was further relieved to know one side of the (stock) cable had simply died. Will only cost me a few bucks for the HD650 cable from Sennheiser so I'm good.

This headphone is over 10 years old and doesn't have a scratch on it. I had never pulled the cables out either by intent or accident so this problem has really baffled me. I'm just glad it is a cheap fix.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 4
EQs are not for noobs.

Well that's strange, if the cable died it would have to be broken or pulled off the soldering joint somewhere, or at the connector place. It would take HUGE amount of current to go through a cable to burn it out, which would already wipe out all the other components. Ofcourse I'm not familiar with how the hd650 cable is connected. Maybe it's time to upgrade the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back