Even more adventures in Binaural Recording! (FREE BINAURAL RECORDINGS!)
Sep 12, 2010 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Once again I found myself having some down time with my wife and we decided to spend the evening listening to some live entertainment. The place of choice is Disneyland mainly because we are annual pass holders. Once again, I decided to bring along my dummy head for some binaural recording. Playing was "The Side Street Swing Orchestra feat. Melanie Collins".

Unfortunately, I arrived a bit late and missed the first two sets, catching only the last song, "Sweet Sue", from the second set recorded behind the crowd (~25 feet from band) and in front of foot traffic. I decided to add it here so you can hear the difference in sound quality just based on placement.

The next full set was recorded dead center about 10 - 15 feet from the band. The sound system was better set-up than previous times. The only annoyance was a buzzing noise that I still can't discern where it emanates from. It's always there regardless of who is playing. I think it might be a bad light or bad feedback. Luckily, I was able to remove it from the recording without affecting the music.
biggrin.gif

During Satin Doll, you'll hear the fireworks going off for "Fantasmic!", a cool show that Disneyland has had going on for quite some time. You'll also hear the dancers shouting, people talking, chairs shifting, etc. Essentially, you'll be hearing it exactly as if you were there minus the annoying buzz! Enjoy!

Recorded in true binaural and encoded in lossless FLAC with cue sheet!!!!

The Music:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nrtv77

The Cue Sheet (updated 7-17-2011):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7816ax

Let me know if you like it! If there is enough interest, I'll post the other set.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Only problem for me is I have a CDP. and the downloads can't be burned to a disc..Darn.

Yes they can. That's why I included a cue sheet.

You will need a program like Foobar2000 to burn it to CD.
biggrin.gif

SEE HERE!!!

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 16
This was pretty neat to listen too, thanks for sharing! Of the binaural recordings I've enjoyed in the past (I forgot the main website where people upload) was ones that took you on a virtual tour through the streets, it certainly gave a broader sense of sound as it comes and goes, perhaps a doppler effect. I was thinking it would be excellent if you walked towards to the live music, around, and then away; is this something that could be possible with your recording setup? If you record some more please post them, they're always a pleasure to listen too.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 16
Best one yet. Great post!

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 16
Congratulation! I always loved the "Dummy Head Recording" and even got a Sennheiser MKE2002 myself. Got it when I've beeen at university when it was available on the market at that time
smile.gif
... Should go out for live recordings in the streets and nature, but those time restrictions...
Thanks for your beautiful recordings making us "visit" that concert at Diesneyland.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back