EU volume cap on Sony DAPs.
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

GreenBow

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been keenly looking at buying a Sony DAP for quite a long time. The model I like is the Sony NW ZX300. (Approx £500.)

However the EU volume cap, is making me think twice all the time. I have There isn't another DAP near the price that I would like.

There are options, e.g. the A&K 70, which is quite cheap on Amazon UK, at £400. However I am not keen on its battery life. It's listed at about eight hours. However, someone reported as low as four hours, on Amazon UK reviews. The A&K 70 Mk II has better battery lie but then the price is steeper. yet the battery life will still not equal the Sony.

Debate about sound quality aside, I prefer battery life. The reasoning for this is because I hate it when I take my iPod Shuffle with me. Only an hour into music, and I get battery low message. I forgot to charge it, again! Plus I overestimate its battery life anyway.

With respect to the EU volume cap, I don't play music loud in headphones anyway. If I use my cheap earphones on my Shuffle, I don't play it loud. They say never turn up music to drown out background noise. However as people do, I still occasionally do that. Like when walking next to a road.

If I bought the Sony DAP though, I would most like buy some in-ear monitors. Meaning some sound isolation. Meaning less need to turn up volume to cover road noise.

What worries about the EU volume cap, is that some folk say, quiet parts of music can be lost. Basically because there's no headroom for more volume, in quiet parts.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 29
The EU volume cap is long time solved....read the tread

I read the thread. However I am not sure about flashing the DAP, with software off the web. It might void warranty, or brick the DAP.

That's not what I was hoping to find out, meaing can I overcome the volume cap. What I am asking is, 'if I don't want loud music, will the ZX300 be loud enough'?

Hence why I explained my listening levels, and that I intend to buy at least partially isolating IEMs.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 29
I think there was another method suggested for removing volume cap. I am going to have to go back to the ZX300 thread and check. I think, not sure, that if you change the region to Chinese, it stays in English, but removes volume cap.

Something like that anyway.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 29
Not that I have any experience with doing it. Still if you read threads about all kinds of people doing it, with no negative repercussions......then it may be worth taking a chance.

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 29
GreenBow… just buy from Asia or USA then you won't have to worry about volume-cap, I used to buy all my Walkman's from Price-Japan but it appears they're not around any more... I'll be buying my next Walkman from Accessory-Jack in the near future (http://www.accessoryjack.com/)... they have a good reputation and will do you a deal on 'Customs', email them before purchase, agree things and select 'courier delivery'... you will only get basic Sony International warranty (not sure if it's 6mths or 12mths), I wouldn't worry as my Sony's have never had a operational issue. There is a service-centre in UK where repairs are carried out for a fixed-price so you won't have any real worries, hth.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 29
@OK-Guy
@Redcarmoose

Thank you both.

However due to bad experiences with retailers, I tend to stick to Amazon's no hassle return policy. Amazon USA sell the ZX300, but it costs £660, after import fees.

I just read two posts however in the ZX300 thread of folk saying that their headphones work loud enough.

I bought ZX300 together with MDR-1ABP. MDR-1ABP is a 40 ohm headphone which ZX300 can drive it just fine at high gain but I need to set a volume a bit higher......maybe around 60-70.

On the contrast, Audeze LCD2C is a 70 ohm headphone if my memory serves. So...well......I doubt ZX 300 could drive it alone. Maybe PHA-3 could be of help in this case though.

Edit: I missed your part that you dont want to carry a separate dac/amp. You can ignore my PHA3 for a solution but you probably get the idea now. Hope you can find a satisfy solution soon.

I can drive my 300ohm Senmheiser HD650 just fine on the NW-ZX300 through high gain. Just saying...

They may be using balanced, and I would start with SE. However I think I am just going to risk it now, and buy. Have been pining for a DAP.[/USER]

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 29
You don't need to flash the player for volume cap, you are only changing region, and it won't affect the warranty or will not brick your player, it's not like flashing a smartphone.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 29
@OK-Guy
@Redcarmoose

Thank you both.

However due to bad experiences with retailers, I tend to stick to Amazon's no hassle return policy. Amazon USA sell the ZX300, but it costs £660, after import fees.

I just read two posts however in the ZX300 thread of folk saying that their headphones work loud enough.

They may be using balanced, and I would start with SE. However I think I am just going to risk it now, and buy. Have been pining for a DAP.[/USER]
You need to use the balanced output to drive these, SE power limits are too low.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 29
You need to use the balanced output to drive these, SE power limits are too low.

I think I mean to stick to low impedance IEMs. I have my heart set on the AKG N40, and they are 20 ohm. Detachable cable though, for balanced upgrading. ............. I'd like the Shure SE846, but to be totally honest, I am not sure about IEMs. I am worried about cable noise, as I will use them on the go, while walking out in town etc. Secondly, whether they will push ear wax into my ears. Hence starting with a good pair at a more reasonable price.

If I want to do some music listening at home where I would have proper headphones, (in the future). I am lucky enough to have Mojo or Hugo 2 with a PC file source. Or I might get another portable file source like a cheap tablet. Don't want to use the Sony as a DAC file source, much at all.

Thank you for the input though. The impetus is helping.

You don't need to flash the player for volume cap, you are only changing region, and it won't affect the warranty or will not brick your player, it's not like flashing a smartphone.

I'll check up on this.

I think the Sony ZX300 allows us to change region to China. You get a mix of Chinese and basic English I think. I searched the thread with search function.

I am not sure what that other method is. There's a link in the ZX300 thread about removing the volume cap. That's the one I am nervous about, because it looks like flashing. Could be wrong though.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 29
That's it done. I bought my ZX300. It will arrive tomorrow.

If I do any work around of the volume cap, I will post method here, and link who explained it. Then it's in one place under EU volume cap title, and not in the middle of a huge thread.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 29
I think I mean to stick to low impedance IEMs. I have my heart set on the AKG N40, and they are 20 ohm. Detachable cable though, for balanced upgrading. ............. I'd like the Shure SE846, but to be totally honest, I am not sure about IEMs. I am worried about cable noise, as I will use them on the go, while walking out in town etc. Secondly, whether they will push ear wax into my ears. Hence starting with a good pair at a more reasonable price.

I will be honest with you, I spent about a month compares between ZX300 and NWM-1A. And in-between a month, I went to Sony shop more than 8 times, I think.......to test the actual product with my SE215, N20, and Y50. ZX300 SE output cannot even drive SE215 properly and that’s make me decided to buy a balance 4.4 MMCX cable for a replacement. The moment I plugged in my SE215 at a balanced output, it make me feel like I got a new headphone compare to when I connect through the SE output.

I don’t know about other but for me ZX300 is about its balanced 4.4. I mean SE output is still ok but since you are gonna invest in ZX300 then it worth to get a balanced cable upgrade.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 29
Hi, I am interested in buying a new Sony Walkman NW ZX500 (it will be available in November in Europe) for MQA support and TIDAL. However, I fear that European volume limitation (cap) will be included and no software fix is still available. I will use IEMs, but also full sized cans with standard 3.5mm jack. How was your experience with the NW ZX300? Can the volume cap be avoided using the 4.4 mm balanced audio output? Thanks

I have been keenly looking at buying a Sony DAP for quite a long time. The model I like is the Sony NW ZX300. (Approx £500.)

However the EU volume cap, is making me think twice all the time. I have There isn't another DAP near the price that I would like.

There are options, e.g. the A&K 70, which is quite cheap on Amazon UK, at £400. However I am not keen on its battery life. It's listed at about eight hours. However, someone reported as low as four hours, on Amazon UK reviews. The A&K 70 Mk II has better battery lie but then the price is steeper. yet the battery life will still not equal the Sony.

Debate about sound quality aside, I prefer battery life. The reasoning for this is because I hate it when I take my iPod Shuffle with me. Only an hour into music, and I get battery low message. I forgot to charge it, again! Plus I overestimate its battery life anyway.

With respect to the EU volume cap, I don't play music loud in headphones anyway. If I use my cheap earphones on my Shuffle, I don't play it loud. They say never turn up music to drown out background noise. However as people do, I still occasionally do that. Like when walking next to a road.

If I bought the Sony DAP though, I would most like buy some in-ear monitors. Meaning some sound isolation. Meaning less need to turn up volume to cover road noise.

What worries about the EU volume cap, is that some folk say, quiet parts of music can be lost. Basically because there's no headroom for more volume, in quiet parts.

Sep 22, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 29
The zx300 is different from the zx500, zx300 being sonys own OS, can have to cap disabled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back