Etys vs sensas and U-Es for detail
May 9, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
I know, i konw. I only just got my first good canalphones, the E5s, but I want something with a bit more detail too. Can the higher class phones beat or compete with the etys for detail? (I have to add that i've never heard the etys, but have been told that they're the best). I don't want to spend £250 on the etys if i could sell the E5s and have a good pair that would do the job of both.

May 9, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 15
the etys give better detail than the shures.

if you don't want to make a sacrifice (for detail or bass) you must go with the sensa or the ue's.

you will get a lot more posts here, but this is all you need to know.

May 9, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 15
I mean do the ultimate ears give the same ammount of detail as the etys? If they do, then i'll get them, but theres no point otherwise.

May 9, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
I mean do the ultimate ears give the same ammount of detail as the etys? If they do, then i'll get them, but theres no point otherwise.

Yes. I own both the Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO and I had the Etymotic Research ER-4P/S combination. The UE-10 PRO has the same level of detail, resolution, and clarity as the ER-4P/S but they have a much fuller soundstage and warm, full-bodied bass. There really is no comparison between the UE-10 PRO and ER-4P/S as the former is much superior in design and technology than the latter. If you can afford it, then I recommend the UE-10 PRO without reservation.

May 9, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 15
I second that.....you can not compare the Shure E5's to the UE-5, 7 or 10 pro. While the E5 is a wonderful generic IEM, it's not pro stuff. Check out the Sensa's 2X as well. When you go pro you get as close to the live sound or recorded sound as possible. The E5's are tweaked for consumer use I believe.

May 10, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 15
i feel your pain bangra.

i know i will be getting the sensas soon, but not because they will be replacing my e5c's.

i am a musician and for this reason only can i push myself over the edge in rationalizing purchasing the 2-X's. if i were not a musician, i would have a very difficult time allowing myself to buy them. when i do eventually purhcase them, i will be using them more for composing then i will for listening to my ipod; thats what the e5's are for. the e5's are my end-all ipod headphone, period. They are the best consumer canalphone IMO that exists.

i think it is crazy to use the sensas or the ue's (with the exception of the ue-5c which is still a consumer-geared product) with an ipod or for casual listening. as a musician, i guess i feel it is (puts on flame retardant suit) kinda sac religious to use these for just casual listening to music.

sometimes you just gotta have the discipline to draw the line. and as far as the ipod goes - the e5c are my heaven.

to each his own.

May 10, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 15
i think it's safe to say that a trial listen is as good as a purchase.

you know what i mean.

May 10, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
i think it is crazy to use the sensas or the ue's (with the exception of the ue-5c which is still a consumer-geared product) with an ipod or for casual listening. as a musician, i guess i feel it is (puts on flame retardant suit) kinda sac religious to use these for just casual listening to music.

[size=small]I doubt some of the buyers here are using the 2X's/UE's for just casual listening. It is not unusual for the true audiophile to want high fidelity sound on the go or at least away from one's home system.

I was all set to purchase some Ety ER4B's for their alleged tighter bass, flatter mids and greater treble extension (compared to the 4S's). I can't say I regret seeing the new reviews of the 2X's/UE-10's though since they appear to correct the two obvious deficiencies with the Etys - visceral bass and a soundstage (headstage?) with three dimensions.[/size]
cool.gif

May 10, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 15
some people no doubt are using these just for casual listening and not at all to compose like they're intended for.

like i said: to each his own.

May 10, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 15
HRA liked U-E more.. but I picked Sensa already, so I'm not likely to get a pair of U-E's to compare.

Slimm (before he got banned) posted some impression on iPodlounge (with the money he scammed from us to purchase his UE's)... in which he mentioned the bass isn't as bombastic (I think that's the word he used) as the E5c's.. although more accurate with more extension.

Personally I felt 2X-S's bass rivals E5's.. and that was a main concern when I was making my decision... so based on a very singular experience, I'm very happy with my 2X-S. Accuracy does not mean as much to me as just an entertaining and musical experience.

May 10, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Yea....I favor UE's more than Sensa's. That doesn't mean that Sensa is not a worthy competitor. Certainly a brand that should be checked out in comparison by any serious prospect. UE-10's are definitely "tuned" for the pro...no enhancements in the bass, mid or treble ranges....that's what pro's want...not necessarily what one might want for entertainment such as iPods. IMHO if I wanted more bottom end I'd adjust the EQ on the equipment. The UE-10's are more than capable of producing that adjustment where some other brands can not.

I believe the Shure E5's by comparison are tweaked to produce more bass withou EQ. The bass you hear with the E5's at flat EQ is not what was recorded and mastered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back