Etys do not cancel much noise!!!
Feb 24, 2007 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

New Head-Fier
I bought 6is based on some suggestions that it provides "full isolation". However, the isolation is very limited. Any hints how to fit the IEMs in my ear canal so that they provide better isolation?

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 20
which tips are you using?

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 20
You probably aren't inserting them right or deep enough. Try the large bi-flange tips that come with it, and pull up on your ear while inserting.

Or try the foam tips. Roll them flat with your fingers, then insert them all the way in, and hold for about 15 seconds.

Also, when you change tips, make sure to push/twist on the tip until it hits the end of the filter thingie and is flush with the body of the IEM.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 20
My guess would be you arent inserting them the right way, or far enough. I put my er4's (tri-flange) in earlier. Sitting on the couch, I couldnt hear the TV, or my dad sitting right next to me (talking in a normal voice). This was with no music playing.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 20
With these I use the tri-flange tips, I lift the top of my ear and pull it back, and then I insert the tip (it can help if the tip is slightly moist.) I get great isolation everytime.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess would be you arent inserting them the right way, or far enough. I put my er4's (tri-flange) in earlier. Sitting on the couch, I couldnt hear the TV, or my dad sitting right next to me (talking in a normal voice). This was with no music playing.

So what is the right way? How much is far enough?

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5480 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what is the right way? How much is far enough?

Push earpiece in until your ear canal starts to bleed, then pull out the earpiece 0.0001 millimeter.

Sound might get muffled as blood starts to clot, that's normal.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 20
use superglue as momentary insertion lubricant.

actually enough is when you can't really insert them any further without muffling the sound, your canals are deeper so there is nothing to worry about, just don't get the headphone lost in there :wink: Takes a bit of practice, but they should generally suction inside your ear to do their job.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 20
You don't know how to put them in!!!
eek.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 20
On their website Ety now have a video on insertion technique.
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6-ifu.aspx

Pushing the phones deep is a prerequisite for good isolation but you also need to know which way you ear canal runs, it can run to the front, to the back or straight.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 20
It says on the box foam 30dB triflange 20dB. I use the foam on the subway and switch to triflange elsewhere.

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Push earpiece in until your ear canal starts to bleed, then pull out the earpiece 0.0001 millimeter.

Sound might get muffled as blood starts to clot, that's normal.

lol

--he'll get them figured out i bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back