Greetings from Singapore!

1) Shure SRH240
2) Klipsch S4
3) Sennheiser CX870
4) Philips SHN4600
5) Fiio E6 Portable Amp
6) Pailiccs LOD

to go with my iPhone.

Was thinking of giving myself a little Christmas present, the Etymotic mc5.

Any opinions?

I'm NOT WILLING to shell out the cash for a HF5.
I haven't heard any Etymotics before so I don't know about the ety sound that people talk about.
Whats the sound signature similar to in my list?

I really like the sound of my Sennheiser CX870 and Klipsch S4. Find the Shure SRH240 a bit whiney and trebley...

Thanks in advance!

Russell

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 11
If you like the klipsh, i've doubts about you liking any of ety's sound sigs. They're accurate and analytical, whilst the klipsh is bass strong for consumer preferences. And frankly, i'm a little confused. You're going to give yourself a present but you aint gonna pay for it?
eek.gif

BUT, YMMV with any type of audio, so i recommend you to head down to Jaben or stereo to audition various IEMs yourself. Thats the best way

And wow, your teacher just ruined your wallet man. Thank god my teacher didnt do that!

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 11
Nah... Am not really keen to pay too much. 
What is the closest in my list that etys sound like?
Just want a general idea for the sound signature...

I headed down to adelphi but was in a bit of a rush the other day so I couldn't scrutinize everything there.

I hope to be able to go say... Next week? 

Stereo is selling the mc5 for $119. Does that give the etys a run for their money?

Im very very keen on the etys. And yes, I do think that the klipsch is a bit on the bassy side.

Jaben don't carry etys anymore. They used to though but even if they did itd be darn expensive lol... I find jaben very ex.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Can't say much of that since I've only heard the s4 out of all of yours. Why are you that keen on them when you dont even know what they sound like may I ask?

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 11
I have not heard anything except S4 in your list, but I'd guess that Ety would sound different to them all. If you are after the Etymotic sound, skip the MC5 and go for HF5. I did not like MC5 much, but I like HF2 I own now.

I would agree with clieOS review

Quote:
In my previous ER4P / ER4S review, I summed up the Etymotic house sound as “analytical and bright, fairly neutral while slightly on the thinner and colder side, tight and impactful bass that isn’t quantitatively large, resolving and fast which are very typical of BA based IEM.” On that note, I have to say MC5 is probably the least Etymotic-sounding Etymotic IEM I have heard. It has a fairly bright sound with a tiny bit of harshness, but lacks the top end sparkle, crispiness, and more importantly, the capability to pick up micro detail even when compared to the fairly outdated 6 years old ER6i. The base of the sound has changed from ‘neutral while slightly on the thinner and colder side’ to ‘neutral while slightly on the warm yet dry side’. Bass has improved - not quite as tight, really has a sense of good texture and better body, though still far from quantitatively large. Transparency isn’t particularly high, while resolution and speed are average - which probably is the biggest difference between MC5 and other Ety IEM, though not surprising when considered what kind of transducer is in MC5. The real question is however, is it still a true Ety without being really analytical? I guess that answer depends on whether you, as a buyer, are looking forward to a classic Etymotic analytical sound or not. If you are, then MC5 is not for you. If ER6i has better cable, just as long a warranty and with the current $70 street price, I would think it probably will work out better as a representation of what Ety sounds like. Then again, I must stress the point on what kind of sound you are expecting from MC5.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't think it'll be a "sound" idea to get the etys just because others rave about it. I'd rather just audition it somewhere and buy something I know I like. As you said you aren't willing to let go of cash for it, yet you still want to buy something so risky. Return policies arent popular in Singapore, so we don't have that as a save guard. Just my 2cents

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd recommend just stretching your budget. Go find a part time job in the holidays? that way you'd be happier! things like the Turbines and the DDM1s are available to you. if i'm not wrong the DDM1s are discontinued, but quite a number should be lurking around. There's one second hand one i saw yesterday at stereo going for 89, but i dont think it has warranty and the accessories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back