Etymotics in the U.K.
Dec 9, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #16 of 24
The replacement filters that I ordered had problems. The first set I tried made the phones sound extremely shrill - as if they were not there at all. I ordered two sets of filters so I tried a second pair and got better results with them.

I cannot really pass negative comments on www.pjbox.co.uk - they came up with the goods as far as I'm concerned. When I next change filters (which hopefully will not be for some time) I shall listen very carefully - if they also sound shrill I shall order directly from Etymotic.

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 24
as far as customs charges ar concerned..... u can import anything up to the value of £18 without being hit with charges...excluding postage charges.. and if it is classed as a gift this then doubles to only £36... again excluding the postage.... the best way to get anything through customs like this thats way over the limit is to either lie about the value and just put a value of $18
evil_smiley.gif
or if u get who ever sending them to put in a note explaining how your headphones have been "looked at and suitably repaired" and are now being sent back to you as a repaired item ( u alrdy owned them b4 so no charges apply)...
i import quite a few things.. and so far just putting a value of $18 has gotten everything to me no probs.. :0)
hope his helps
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 24
I'm not about to ask Headroom to lie about the worth of the phones. That could get them in trouble and it's unethical to expect a business to do that.

As for me sending things back and forth to relatives in the US, we fudge the worth all the time.
wink.gif

But these tips vary from country to country. In Finland, anything worth over ¢ã50 is subject to duties, including items marked "gift". It usually includes ..hmmmm...I believe a 17.5% VAT, and then an extra tax depending on what the item is. Textiles get taxed so much that you almost pay for them twice. Small home electronics like headphones don't get taxed that badly.

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 24
actualy u would be suprised the ammount of shops i buy from that are "customs friendly" and nearly all of em put a low price on the parcel to avoid customs without even being asked ;0) its quite general practice with most the places i use :0)

Dec 10, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #20 of 24
Maybe it's standard practice at these shops you use. In my 4 years of living overseas, I have never found a shop that does that, and I buy most of my cooler stuff online.

But none of that matters, it is illegal and it is also unethical for the business.

Yeah we do it, but if you get caught and you don't have some kind of good story, understand that there could be consequences. I mean it's probably rare, but it's still fraud if ya get caught.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
Maybe it's standard practice at these shops you use. In my 4 years of living overseas, I have never found a shop that does that, and I buy most of my cooler stuff online.

But none of that matters, it is illegal and it is also unethical for the business.

Yeah we do it, but if you get caught and you don't have some kind of good story, understand that there could be consequences. I mean it's probably rare, but it's still fraud if ya get caught.
wink.gif

The amount of taxes we pay in the UK is a crime in itself...

Compared to the US we get paid half as much in our wages, and things cost 50% more than for the same item in the US... who is defrauding who here?
frown.gif

I'm grateful for the people in the US who help us to get things for the same value as they are actually worth...

I myself am a happy camper
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #22 of 24
well said that man! ;0)
indeed.. we get royaly screwed over just about everything we buy here... so i also welcome any saving that certain retailers are happy to help there UK customers with..
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 24
I have found that the easiest solution to the problems of paying highly inflated prices in the UK is simple - nick the bloody stuff and run like hell.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though - it gets on my **** as well to think that I'm paying £1 to $1 ratio of most things. If you do manage to get a retailer to deliver to the UK from the US - customs get their greedy mits on it.

I'm all for screwing the system. If anyone knows of any US electronics companies who are prepared to mark packages sent to the UK as a 'gift' or low retail value - please drop me a PM and let me know.

Dec 10, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 24
It's worse here, sometimes I think they just pull the prices out of thin air since they have no basis in reality, and are often far over MSRP even with the extra VAT.

Sadly, even with the customs paid on my Ety er6s from the Headroom (the box may have been marked gift, but I didn't notice since that makes no difference here), I still saved about €100 or more on Ety's UK price. Those pjbox people saved me a bundle.
smily_headphones1.gif

But for those times that I don't feel like riding the tax train, I have things sent to the Mom Shipping Co. Only problem with that is that means I have to be nice to her.
wink.gif

I think marking the box as gift is correct. To not do so indicates that it's B2B..which of course may mean more taxes. However I would never expect a reputable company to lie about the worth of the product. If any Headroom guys are listening in on this one, we'd like to hear from you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back