Etymotics ER4 cable design question
Aug 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to get a pair of ER4's after having fallen in love with them again. Does anybody know what the design of the cable is at the moment ?

When I originally got my first pair 4-5 years ago the cable between the green pod at the transducer was very thick and microphonic and almost impossible to use behind the ear in Shure style. The barrel then cracked on one transducer after about 2 years by which time they had changed the cable to be a thinner braided design and I had my unit recabled at the same time as they replaced the cracked transducer. This cable was much easier to get behind the ears. I am negotiating with a fellow head-fi'er to buy his pair. They are supposed to be less than 1 month old but they do not have a braided cable. Anybody know if this is because Etymotics have changed design again or because his pair have been sitting on the shelf of the shop where he bought them for a log time ? They are still red/blue color coded and I have read elsewhere that this is also not the current design.

I would love to buy his pair as they are already in EU and he accepts paypal. I have to use paypal as my disposable funds for this hobby in stored there and none of the on-line sellers i have found accept paypal.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 4
For those interested, this design is the model in question, and it has a gray pod where the L/R cables join.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those interested, this design is the model in question, and it has a gray pod where the L/R cables join.

"This Product was added to our catalog on Tuesday, 01. May 2007."

So it is not likely to have been in stock for a very long time. I suppose the design could have changed again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back