etymotic vs re0 vs triplefi
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #17 of 33
Another Ety option is the HF5.  It is quite small -- slim actually.  It has the same driver as the much more expensive ER4S/P, it just isn't "hand-tuned", (whatever that means), and can be found for $120-130.

IMO, the HF5 has a bit more bass impact than the RE0, and capable of a good bit more bass body than the RE0 with some EQ.  The highs are nearly as smooth as the RE0, and to my ear, the whole sound of the HF5 just sounds more cohesive and together compared the RE0.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 33

I prefer the ER4p's as well, to me the triples sound weird, almost fake sounding and I hated the lack of mids.

Quote:
Personally, I definitely prefer the Eymotic ER4P to the triple.fi. The triple.fi are nice though and apart from an awkward fit are a very fun earphone. The biggest annoyance for me aside from fit is the recessed mids.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 33
Based on my brief time with the RE0, you couldn't GIVE me another pair. Really poor quality control, Fang - I was particularly sorry for my workmate when his fell apart despite being very well cared for. Many HiFiMan products get rave reviews on HF, so I can only assume that Fang contracted the RE0 out to a factory which just want prepared to use things like *glue* when connecting the earpieces ....

By contrast, I have had my PL50s for a few months now and they havent missed a beat - in and out of my satchel, thrown in a bedside drawer etc. Kudos to SoundMagic.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
Based on my brief time with the RE0, you couldn't GIVE me another pair. Really poor quality control, Fang - I was particularly sorry for my workmate when his fell apart despite being very well cared for. Many HiFiMan products get rave reviews on HF, so I can only assume that Fang contracted the RE0 out to a factory which just want prepared to use things like *glue* when connecting the earpieces ....

By contrast, I have had my PL50s for a few months now and they havent missed a beat - in and out of my satchel, thrown in a bedside drawer etc. Kudos to SoundMagic.

my main gripe was the cable slider....it felt like moving it would shred the cabling to bits...they got it right on the RE2, why not the RE0?

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #23 of 33
I wonder if the ER-6i would fit with the triple flange instead of the double. I've never gotten a seal out of them. I've got the ER-4S though, so obviously that's my preference. As for the bass on the 4P/S, I used the included black foamies today, and there was plenty of bass. I'm used to listening on full-size studio monitors, and the balance compares favorably.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
Another Ety option is the HF5.  It is quite small -- slim actually.  It has the same driver as the much more expensive ER4S/P, it just isn't "hand-tuned", (whatever that means), and can be found for $120-130.

IMO, the HF5 has a bit more bass impact than the RE0, and capable of a good bit more bass body than the RE0 with some EQ.  The highs are nearly as smooth as the RE0, and to my ear, the whole sound of the HF5 just sounds more cohesive and together compared the RE0.

How does the MC5 compare to the HF5?  is it worth the extra ~$50?

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 33
Still waiting for my RE0 to show up. In fact, it's been a few days and I never received any sort of confirmation except from PayPal! If it doesn't approximate the ER-4S on my runs, I guess I'll try the HF5.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #27 of 33
I tried calling first. After some phone tag, she had me email the PayPal receipt. This morning I got the shipping notice. I didn't realize they'd be coming from China. Guess I should expect them next... month? :wink:

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Quote:

How does the MC5 compare to the HF5?  is it worth the extra ~$50?

I tried the MC5 for a month or so, and was confused by them.  It is a different technology than all there other Ety phones, being a "moving coil" instead of armiture -- so it is a dynamic driver.  It sort of had the Ety house sound, trying to be analytical and clean, but it would get rather muddy on busy passages which nearly all BA drivers have no problem with.  For the same price, the RE0 was a better dynamic phone.

I can't tell you how close the HF5 is to the ER4 because I haven't heard the ER4.  But the HF5 does have the exact same driver as the ER4, just a different housing and tuning, and most head-fi'ers who have/had both say the HF5 is very close to the ER4P -- the 4S, tho is a small step ahead due to the higher impedance and power needed to drive it.  I LOVE the HF5 -- it is so natural sounding to me, and really makes my other phones sound colored.  BTW, I bought my HF5 used from a trusted Amazon seller for right at $100.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 33
The Triple.Fi 10 is one of the most naturally enjoyable IEMs on the market.  The frequency response isn't flat.  Dynamics are a little compressed.  The notes are a little thick (for a BA, very good thing in some ways).  However, it's an earphone you can stick in your ear, play pretty much any song, and simply enjoy the music.  They don't try to be super analytical, super correct, although they're close enough not to care.  They're just really fun to listen to.  I've used a lot of high end earphones and there isn't one other out there that's quite like the Triple.Fi 10.  There are more correct earphones though if that is your goal.

I'd say pass on the ER6i and at least look at the ER4.  The ER4S is one worth trying at least once as a head-fier.  It is a reference level product and worth knowing at some point.  It will show you what a lot of other IEMs can't do.  However, it is also a bit limited these days being just a single driver BA.  There are inherent shortcomings of this that can't be overlooked.  While the ER4S is very good, there are so many very good dual and triple driver BA earphones that just cover the spectrum better and offer a little better overall device.  Some even use the ER4 driver as part of the system so some of the key benefits of the ER4 stops being unique to the ER4.

The RE0, I did not like.  I was seiously underimpressed by it for how good it was supposed to be.  I spent two solid weeks and over a hundred songs later comparing against not stellar hardware and me not really wanting to keep the RE0 at all.  The RE0 is a great earphone in that it doesn't do much wrong.  However, it's not really outstanding at anything.  Most of its like has to do with it not being horribly wrong in some way, not because it is such an outstanding earphone.  I see the RE-ZERO as a better product, but that too is out performed by a number of other products.  Just for the 3 products you list, the Triple.Fi 10 is a sizable step up overall from the RE-ZERO and I like the RE-ZERO a good deal better than the RE0.

Is any of the Hifiman products worth looking at?  Yes.  The RE252 and RE262 are beyond worth the money.  The RE252 is pretty much the only other eaprhone on the market that I've used that I consider a reference product like the ER4S.  It is very well balanced and very correct in sound.  The RE262 is a little more colored and lacks the balance of the RE252 but technically has a better driver, basically the best dynamic driver on the market.  You just have to be content with a little color though.  The RE252 has a heartier yet less dynamic note, more deep bass and more high highs than the RE262.  The sound stage is more filled with the RE252 but the RE262 is more invisibly transparent.  The RE262 forcuses a little more on the upper mids while the RE252 sounds very even across the entire spectrum.  Both of these pretty much make the RE0 and RE-ZERO worthless to buy unless you only had $100 and could not spend more.  Even then I'd point you to something like the Klipsch Custom 3 instead as a slightly better option than the RE-ZERO, although personal preference may sway you towards one or the other a little more.  I'll note that the RE252 has in many cases sold used for around $140, so pricing is where you're looking.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 33
@mvw2: I completely sgree with your feelings on the triple Fi; when i had them they were my first too tier IEM and I loved everything about them, however moving on to better phones and IEMs in the future, I noticed the same things that you are saying. They are very fun and sound great with just about any genre you throw at them; very detailed, good sound stage , and the bass is fast and punchy.

However they don't do anything special; they are good all rounders but other IEMs have the leg up in certain departments. All in all, it depends on your preference in sound signature, what genres you listen to, and what you want your music to sound like. For under 200 bucks they're great IEMs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back