Etymotic Tri-Flange tips for Shure E3c/E4c/E5c?
Jun 25, 2005 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonspanki

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just wanted to try and confirm exactly which Etymotic triple flange tip is compatible size-wise with the above Shure in-ears?

A fellow head-fier indicated that these are the right ones (http://www.earphonesolutions.com/eter3eaforer.html) - I just wanted to double check, as there are two types of Ety tri flange available.

The other Ety tip on offer is http://www.earphonesolutions.com/etertrflsl5p.html) - what's the difference between the two, and which should I order for use with the above?

I know the Shure tri-flanges would be more suitable as they would definitely fit, but for the price they are asking, I'm going to go for the Ety 5-packs instead - especially as I will be cutting them down to bi-flanges as many on this forum have suggested.

Thanks for any help regarding this somewhat puzzling question...
confused.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
the triflanges in the first link is for er4 and you can use them on e3/e4/e5/um2.
The ther one is for er6 and it won't fit the canals above.

Great, thanks!!!

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 5
You can use the Ety triflanges but there's no guarantee of fit. The Shure triflanged ship with really long 'stalks, whereas the Ety tips ship with no stalk left. For some ears with the E5c, you need a bit of stalk.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Imo, the Ety triple flanges are a bad match for both the Ety-ER4p/S and Shure E3. High frequency resonances, sibilance, etc.

I use the E3's soft flex sleeves with the Etys. With some major bass and lower midrange boost from my old Sony D-465, the Etys don't too bad actually, better than the E3. The foam tips sound ok, too, but are too uncomfortable and too much of a hassle to get into my ears quickly. The Shure's soft flex sleeves are the best by a wide margin due to good sound quality and comfort combined. The Etys are quite capable canalphones in terms of headstage, resolution, treble extension, etc. but the sleeves that come with them make them either sound bad or too uncomfortable to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back