Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #1,006 of 1,201
Evo arrived a couple of days ago from hifiheadphones.co.uk
Really impressed with the build quality of the Evo.
Only listened for a couple of hours so far through either my dx300 or ifi go blu.
Sound is really impressive, retains the detail and precision of my er4sr but with more body and a fuller bass response.
Fit is excellent, using the double flange at moment but also liked the grey foams, need to try the triple flange again which is what I use on the 4sr. Tried them initially bit wasn't getting as good a fit.

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,007 of 1,201
Every time I get back to the EVO from using something else for a couple of days it is like; "Ahhh... I am back HOME again" soundwise. The signature and tuning of the EVO is probably the most "in the middle of the road" balanced tuning of all the headphones and earphones I have. For me they have become the reference I lean on for comparing everything else.

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,008 of 1,201
Etymotic Black Friday deals are live right now:
  • ER4XR for $199.99
  • Evo for $399.99
  • All passive hearing plugs are 30% off
Cross-posted on the ER4 thread...

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,009 of 1,201
Every time I get back to the EVO from using something else for a couple of days it is like; "Ahhh... I am back HOME again" soundwise.
In my opinion the beauty of the EVO that it sounds like a good pair of full size headphones.
I replaced Aeon C Flow with it in the office. Aeon is a technically good pair of headphones and I liked it but the problem with Aeon Closed that its midrange sounds slightly thin regardless the source you use and dynamics is also lacking sometimes.
This is obviously not the case for EVO.
Tonality wise it is close to my open back planar-magnetic headphones and it is very easy for me to switch between them at home.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,011 of 1,201
Do you find this little thing good for Evo? I have a BTR5 BT receiver but did not try Evo with it yet.

Yep it pairs really with the Evo's. Obviously not to the standard of my DX300 however it does drive them really well, I listen at around 60% of the volume using the Go Blu

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,012 of 1,201
Wow wow wow!!! Just been A/B/C comparing my ER4SR and ER2XR to the newly arrived EVO.

Just gonna say it is an evolution through and through. The sheer level of body that it gives is simply insane. Makes the other two seem skinny. And it doesn’t bloat at all, it’s all accurate as my 4SR. The bass is so delicious and complex and masterfully resolved.

Keeping this beauty no doubt.

The 4XR is a slight boost to what the 4SR already provides, but the EVO brings in a completely new set of details and articulations. Perhaps that’s why I returned the 4XR, because it sounded bloated to me in some ways. Especially in heavy metal and when I was drumming along to my mates guitar during jamming sessions, the guitar would be muddled by the increased bass. But now that they have added 2 separate bass drivers and kept mids and treble on another, it has retained the mid and upper detailing of the 4SR and at the same time brought in a new dimension of bass and given the whole sound more body. By body I mean it just has that thick presence. Not bloated but…just there. Sorry so hard to explain. It’s very welcome anyhow

smily_headphones1.gif

Actually just editing this to say one thing. Until about 12 hours ago, the 4SR were my endgame IEM for the last 3 years. I love then to bits, but the EVO give me everything that the 4SR do but add a huge level of enjoyment to my music all of a sudden. I’m smiling at my tracks again

smily_headphones1.gif

Also I know someone will say that this can happen with any new change. Well I’ll answer this with a resounding ‘no’ because in the last few months I have indeed tried the CA Andromeda, Solaris, the Shure SE846 (again) and ACS Custom Evolve. None have done what the EVO has. When Etymotic say this is the most accurate multi-driver IEM I can see what they are getting at here. Bold bold booold claims, but pretty justified. Not just accurate, but fun!

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #1,014 of 1,201
Also I know someone will say that this can happen with any new change. Well I’ll answer this with a resounding ‘no’ because in the last few months I have indeed tried the CA Andromeda, Solaris, the Shure SE846 (again) and ACS Custom Evolve. None have done what the EVO has. When Etymotic say this is the most accurate multi-driver IEM I can see what they are getting at here. Bold bold booold claims, but pretty justified. Not just accurate, but fun!
I owned quite a number of 1000+ Euro IEM in the past (mainly from Earsonics), so I was surprised with the SOUND you can get from a 400 USD 3BA driver IEM.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,015 of 1,201
I owned quite a number of 1000+ Euro IEM in the past (mainly from Earsonics), so I was surprised with the SOUND you can get from a 400 USD 3BA driver IEM.
Hmm how does the Earsonic Grace or Corsa stack up against the Evo?

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,016 of 1,201
Hmm how does the Earsonic Grace or Corsa stack up against the Evo?
My favorite one was S-EM6 V2. That was (discontinued now) the only neutral reference IEM of ES. I sold it last spring I think after 3 years of ownership.
That was a great pair of IEM but I think it was sounded more midcentric while the EVO is more balanced in tonality in general.
I also owned ES5, ES3, SM64, S-EM6 (1 version) - these are typical Earsonics house signature - too much of sub bass presence, more on the warm side. I also heard S-EM9, Velvet. I did not audition Grace and Purple, do not know much about their hybrids and new Corsa.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,018 of 1,201
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,019 of 1,201
Please tell me, what is one to do when he thoroughly tests his Audeze LCD-X against the EVO and chooses the latter without hesitation?
😂

Such giants those planars and I’m sorry but I really struggle to see the big fuss. Except for the fact that at deafening levels you get actual shaking of your skull, what is this good for?

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,020 of 1,201
Hi Evo fans,
Here an Etymotic fan. i have the ER4XR, my favorite iem and also the ER2XR with Etymotion Bluetooth that I use for on the go. I listen mainly to classical music, specially orquestral symphonic, like Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovski, Schubert, Mahler etc.
Anyone with the Evo and with the ER4XR would please care to comment on comparison between the two specifically for classical symponic music?
thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back