Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #991 of 1,201
Firstly, thanks to everyone who has written impressions so far, they have been really interesting reading.

I have received and spent a couple of really nice moments with them (the Australian tour unit) but first came a bit of fiddling trying to achieve a good seal. None of the sizes really worked for me so I have added a large tip I often get a great seal with to the back of the double flange which is now providing a great deep seal.

The first moment was with snarky puppy - bigly strictness. I had forgotten how much detail you can hear in the cymbals, there they are shimmering, each cymbal distinct and each hit distinct. It was a bit of a distraction at first but the Evo doesn't leave you there. I ultimately sold my aurisonic harmonys as to me they presented music as a sum of separate instruments whereas the Evo allowed me to hear the distinctness of the instruments without losing the music itself. I guess reading others impressions that this might signify relaxedness or loss of absolute detail but I loved it.

The second moment was in Agnes Obel - Aventine. The space around the cello (I assume) is just lovely but also the reverb and body of the instrument shows through which shows a lovely balance to the Evo, other phones struggle to allow both to coexist so well. Also in the same track, the pluck of the violins/violas ( once again feel free to correct me in my assumptions) had a space and clarity around each pluck without losing the body of the instrument showing that lovely balance.

Anyways, just a few ramblings on a Saturday morning but they were lovely moments to me.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #993 of 1,201
I picked up an EVO at can jam after listening to them on a whim. Below are my impressions. To give some perspective, I’ve owned a lot of what I would consider moderate to mid range earphones as well as some really nice open and closed headphones. I don’t really consider myself an Ety head, but I have owned 3 different Etys in the past (ER4XR, ER2XR, and the ER6 (which was revelatory for me at the time).

The thing that convinced me to buy them was the imaging, though I have found it to be source dependent. Out of my Fiio 11Pro it’s as good as anything I’ve heard. Out of my iPhone it’s decent but not enough to really wow me. I was using my fiio when I auditioned them so I was sold immediately. The stage is wide, if not deep, which I personally find less important than imaging.

For me the sound signature is very natural for a balanced armature earphone. Not as natural sounding as a top notch pair of full sized headphones when matched with a quality amp, but really close and the best I’ve heard from Ety. They’re also very good with microdynamics (which I find true of all Etys). The bass macrodynamics are definitely a step up from the single BA Etys and for me a real selling point. This is also an area where using a good source pays off in terms of quantity and control I would not call them bass head earphones, but plenty for my tastes which lean towards a little slam as long as there’s no bloat. They’re not airy, though the detail and nuance is all there and the treble sounds very natural and clean.

Initially I wasn’t a big fan of the cable because it’s pretty easy to turn it into a rats nest. It’s grown on me though because it disappears once you’re wearing them. No microphonics, no weight, feels nice. It’s probably part of the reason these are the quietest earphones in terms of wind noise I’ve ever used while biking.

I’m not really a fan of deep insertion, but I like the sound isolation. The concha fit design is definitely my preference over the previous Ety barrel design which always made my ears hurt from the cable pulling on the ends, so a big improvement in my book.

Anyway, that’s my take.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #994 of 1,201
Ordered my pair at Amazon.
After I had a tour unit for a week I don't see any other option for IEM but Evo.
I also ordered T2 connectors from Linum in Denmark to make a DIY cable with a 4.4 mm jack.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #995 of 1,201
I also ordered T2 connectors from Linum in Denmark to make a DIY cable with a 4.4 mm jack.
Please share some photos, once you build your DIY cable :)

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #997 of 1,201
It will be based on Forza Hybrid IEM cable. The second option is plussound poetic.
Both are beautiful cables! I did not realize you were going to re-terminate an existing cable you have.
Still looking forward to your impressions, especially curious to hear if (to your ears) the new cable makes EVO sound even better...

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #998 of 1,201
Received my pair from Amazon yesterday.
Just trying to recall my summer impressions during that demo tour and to compare with what I feel and hear now.

Nothing is new to me - just feed this IEM to Diablo and get its ultimate performance: dynamics, soundstage, imaging, resolution, detail retrieval.
This is an engineering marvel. Give it the best possible source and Evo will pay you back.

DSC_0920_1.jpg

Waiting for the T2 connectors to switch to a 4.4 mm cable.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,000 of 1,201
T2 arrived today. Here is Forza Hybrid with Furutech 4.4 mm jack. Now using full balanced circuity of Diablo - sounds fantastic!
Linum also sells SuperBaX cables that come balanced with 4.4mm jack and T2 connectors. In fact, I have reviewed it here.
(and I highly recommend them for the Etymotic EVO)

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,001 of 1,201
Linum also sells SuperBaX cables that come balanced with 4.4mm jack and T2 connectors. In fact, I have reviewed it here.
I have a balanced SuperBaX I bought for my UE customs and agree it sounds amazing with the Etymotic EVO. In fact, it’s my new favorite combo in conjunction with my PAW6K.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #1,002 of 1,201
I have 3-4 various good quality IEM cables left after I moved to full size headphones 2-3 years ago. So changing the connectors on them is all I need to do :wink:
Evo and ER4SR are only IEM I own today.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #1,003 of 1,201
Nov 19, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,004 of 1,201
hifiheadphones in the UK have the Evo at £350 (black friday 24 hour offer) which is a nice £150 saving. That was my cue to buy. Looking forward to comparing these to my er4sr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back