Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #586 of 1,201
Hey everyone, the Etymotic EVO demo unit arrived today. I know a lot of people wanted to see what it graphed like, so here you are:

graph-4.png

For more detailed listening impressions, see my thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/post-16406982
That is a very odd looking plot, especially past the 1k mark. Etymotic's tend to have a larger spike at the 2.5k region. Though it also depends on what the DF target looks like on your rig though.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #588 of 1,201
Can you tell us a bit more about the testing setup? I'm curious which ear simulator this is.

It's an IEC711 clone that's been pretty common among reviewers. The bad thing is that these clone couplers usually have a wide variance at their resonance peak 'intensity' and most reviewers tend to reach for an 8-9 kHz resonance peak to match crinacle's standard/methodology (or sort of). A good example for this variance is surfing through Etymotic models and famous models on https://squig.link and comparing to different databases (linked at the bottom)

He posted a graph with a bit deeper insertion on discord and the peak moves to 10k as expected changing the overall upper-treble response quite a bit.
image0.png
image0.jpg

But I hope he can chime in more in-depth. :D

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #589 of 1,201
8K peak isnt really there.. 711 coupler resonance.

Standard 60318-4 (711) is rated to 10kHz. The coupler resonance is typically higher (roughly 13.5kHz). I'm about to post a graph with different couplers. Working on it now.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #590 of 1,201
It's an IEC711 clone that's been pretty common among reviewers. The bad thing is that these clone couplers usually have a wide variance at their resonance peak 'intensity' and most reviewers tend to reach for an 8-9 kHz resonance peak to match crinacle's standard/methodology (or sort of). A good example for this variance is surfing through Etymotic models and famous models on https://squig.link and comparing to different databases (linked at the bottom)

He posted a graph with a bit deeper insertion on discord and the peak moves to 10k as expected changing the overall upper-treble response quite a bit.
image0.png
image0.jpg

Thanks, that's helpful. If that coupler is anything like a standard IEC711, the eartip is not at the reference plane, which will cause that issue.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #591 of 1,201
OK, this is just a single pair, not a high n overall average, but it's fairly representative. I was hoping to post this last week after my conversation with Zachi, but I didn't get to it.

For fun, I took data from four different ear simulators. They include:

GRAS RA402 - 1/2" mic, high-resolution coupler. 2-branch coupler rated to 20kHz. Suppressed peak at 13.5kHz

GRAS RA404 - 1/4" mic, high-resolution coupler. 2-branch coupler rated to 20kHz. Suppressed peak at 13.5kHz

Zwislocki DB100 - 1/2" mic, 4-branch coupler rated to 10kHz. This particular coupler has a higher than average spike at about 14kHz

GRAS RA0045 - 1/2" mic, 2-branch coupler rated to 10kHz. This is the industry standard for production testing, although the new high-resolution variants may eventually supplant it.

Historically, we've always used the Zwislocki as it's a bit better for recreating the impedance of the human ear (up 10kHz at least), but the increased bandwidth of the new GRAS couplers is compelling.
EVO (Four Couplers).jpg

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #592 of 1,201

image0.png
image0.jpg

Btw, do you have a link to that exact coupler? I may buy a couple of them for comparison. I've seen a number of them from China, but I'm interested in the one that is being used by reviewers.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #593 of 1,201
Btw, do you have a link to that exact coupler? I may buy a couple of them for comparison. I've seen a number of them from China, but I'm interested in the one that is being used by reviewers.
If you do any sort of analysis on those couplers I'd love to see the results :p

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #594 of 1,201
Jun 14, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #595 of 1,201

I have this version (https://aliexpress.com/item/4000789796521.html) and as you can see the store has some variants depending on the "quality" or model. But I'm pretty sure @crinacle @MRSallee @Precogvision can help you sending their specific models and where they got it from. :thumbsup:

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #597 of 1,201
Jun 14, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #599 of 1,201
Most reviewers seem to use the 3.5mm variant connected to an Apple dongle + adapter for mic and headphone out. Example:
crinacle's rig
e1JJvvS.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Now I am even more curious. :wink:

Didn't crinacle upgrade to a GRAS? I'm pretty sure he did. Perhaps he made comparative measurements.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #600 of 1,201
This is the Ali listing where I ordered my IEC711: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000789796521.html

I have the 3.5mm into a TRRS splitter into an Apple dongle, as someone else suggested.

There is definitely variance in the couplers, even from the same seller, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back