Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #542 of 1,201
What are all the tips included in the tour kit? Is it the usual ones that's included with ER4? Or do they have additional types of tips for greater variety and compliance?
Excellent question! Let me try to find out... :wink:
I do not even know if those would ship in the final product packaging or not. My sample did not.
Anyhow, I will probably have an answer tomorrow (Monday).

I would think the tour would be a good chance to get feedbacks on fit with various tip types.
Since pre-orders are due to ship in a week or 2 (I will try to get an update on that, too) - probably too late to change anything at this point.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #543 of 1,201
@sndp - not sure what that means... Got to ask my teenage son to translate Emoji to me... :wink:
But if you're saying "it is about time I post something" - well... I am trying to finish organizing my thoughts and notes, and post my impressions tomorrow (at the latest). Just in time for when the samples are going to start being sent to first reviewers (probably mid-week or so)

Hahaha... I tried really hard to convey eager anticipation along with impatient/anxious twiddling 😅

Woo-hoo! Super excited and looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #544 of 1,201
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #545 of 1,201
Great review!
The only thing which slightly scares me is the bass, bass, bass topic, taking into account that two drivers out of three produce bass I wonder what is happening with the rest of the spectrum...
Hope this is not Earsonics "home sound" when (with the exception of s-em6 v2 and may be Purple in a tight mode) with the emphasized sub-bass area you have a strong sub bass presence all the time and everywhere, even in tracks where it should not be presented. So it sounds sometimes very artificial.

So I think we still need to see a FR curve to compare it with SR/XR (visually, at least) and secondly - we are waiting for the tour :wink:

BTW, any chance to compare Evo with some of Earsonics IEM like ES3, ES5, Purple? Or may be Westone (which IEM I think made mainly for bass heads)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #546 of 1,201
Great review!
The only thing which slightly scares me is the bass, bass, bass topic, taking into account that two drivers out of three produce bass I wonder what is happening with the rest of the spectrum...
Thanks.
As for bass, it reaches lower and has more detail than previous XR IEMs, but the bass is not boosted more.

BTW, any chance to compare Evo with some of Earsonics IEM like ES3, ES5, Purple? Or may be Westone (which IEM I think made mainly for bass heads)
I have never auditioned ANY of the Earsonics IEMs. Sorry. As for Westone - I only audition in one of the previous CanJams, but honestly do not remember the details. Sorry.
You'll have to wait for early reviews from pre-order owners and/or tour impressions.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #548 of 1,201
Sounds like It could be a ER4XR with better detail/res overall & much deeper bass with the slight bass bleed on the 2XR/3XR. Makes sense since the dual BA woofers have more surface area than a 10mm DD woofer used in many Hybrids. Even then the ER4/ER3 already beat many Single DD IEM's on bass detail/speed, that not counting to taste. But I've posted way back that Electronic music with inhumanly fast beats/melody/rhythm, Easily show that DD's can't cope but BA, Electrostatic, planar can.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #549 of 1,201
Thanks.
As for bass, it reaches lower and has more detail than previous XR IEMs, but the bass is not boosted more.

I have never auditioned ANY of the Earsonics IEMs. Sorry. As for Westone - I only audition in one of the previous CanJams, but honestly do not remember the details. Sorry.
You'll have to wait for early reviews from pre-order owners and/or tour impressions.
I mostly use balanced sources. Shall Etymotic offer a package with a balanced cable instead of single ended cable? I checked Linum's site, and right now they only have balanced version from the Superbax, that cost over 300 EUR :frowning2: Since the only cable option is Linum because of the T2 connector, please ask them to release also the Bax T2 with balanced connectors. Thx Lacas

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #551 of 1,201
The omission of balanced is criminal for the money with the lousy excuse that it keeps up with Ety tradition 😒

I'm sorry, but if it is driven properly by single-ended, why do we need to worry about balanced?

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #552 of 1,201
I'm sorry, but if it is driven properly by single-ended, why do we need to worry about balanced?
Well i am sorry, but if it isn't a requirement for you, it is for most and to omit it is a bad decision. There's no manufacturer left that wouldn't offer balanced, of course it's up to you to decide if to use it, but to not have the option is silly

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #553 of 1,201
Well i am sorry, but if it isn't a requirement for you, it is for most and to omit it is a bad decision. There's no manufacturer left that wouldn't offer balanced, of course it's up to you to decide if to use it, but to not have the option is silly

That's not factual. Saying it is a requirement for most, as well as there being no manufacturers left not offering it, are statements with no basis in reality.

I use balanced when it is required. Why waste money on a cable for no technical or aesthetic reason?

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #554 of 1,201
nice impressions, it will be nice if you share a bit more about the mids and treble like you did for the bass

Sounds like It could be a ER4XR with better detail/res overall & much deeper bass with without the slight bass bleed on the 2XR/3XR.
@FastAndClean - to my ears, @Blackwoof "summary" nailed how I perceive the mids and treble (with my correction that bass does NOT bleed).
In the coming days I will do some more A/B comparison to the ER4SR and post if I have any "new revelations". I am now putting my trust in the world tour reviewers to add several more subjective points of view.
Hopefully, some are better than me in describing differences than me. Also, I expect the younger reviewers to have better treble hearing than me (I did age myself by mentioning a teenage son earlier :wink:)

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #555 of 1,201
I mostly use balanced sources. Shall Etymotic offer a package with a balanced cable instead of single ended cable? I checked Linum's site, and right now they only have balanced version from the Superbax, that cost over 300 EUR :frowning2: Since the only cable option is Linum because of the T2 connector, please ask them to release also the Bax T2 with balanced connectors. Thx Lacas

The omission of balanced is criminal for the money with the lousy excuse that it keeps up with Ety tradition 😒

Balanced cable... OK, first let's please not start a debate whether or not it is sonically important. :) I agree Etymotic should offer balanced cable!
I will confirm with Etymotic, but to my knowledge: a balanced cable will be offered, just as a balanced cable is offered today for the ER2/3/4 IEMs.
I will try to get some timeline and price info for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back