Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #496 of 1,201
Really looking forward to EVO impressions, particularly interested in seeing how the soundstage and treble extension compare to the ER4XR. Will be curious if the EVO has a more 3D presentation and farther treble extension compared to the ER4XR...only a few weeks!

I kinda know what I really like after owning 400+ pair of IEM in the past 2 decades, more than enough that I have saw a fair share of IEM companies raised and fall. I have also came to understand there is something unique about Etymotic that keeps its users from coming back over the years, developing a sense of loyalty. I hope that will still hold true in the decade to come. For now, I guess I'll find my next pair of IEM elsewhere.
good for you.

May 28, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #497 of 1,201
I kinda know what I really like after owning 400+ pair of IEM in the past 2 decades, more than enough that I have saw a fair share of IEM companies raised and fall. I have also came to understand there is something unique about Etymotic that keeps its users from coming back over the years, developing a sense of loyalty. I hope that will still hold true in the decade to come. For now, I guess I'll find my next pair of IEM elsewhere.

Maybe you'll be surprised. I usually wait a bit before making a final decision on things, especially in the early stages.

May 28, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #498 of 1,201
I agree with Dave - we all have our personal preferences.
Personally, being more of a basshead myself - I would love for Etymotic to introduce a "basshead dream IEM" one day... :wink:
The way I see it, many (most?) audiophiles keep reference level IEMs and/or headphones, but also supplement their collection with "guilty pleasure" IEMs and/or headphones! That "guilty pleasure" can be either bass-heavy, super-treble, etc.

Just my 2 cents
Maybe we should ask 50 cent also, just to be sure :p
400!? I hope you own a store or so in audio, otherwise one could also see this as, ehm, slightly odd. Maybe you are a collector? I am quite biased, as an environmental scientist I don't like to see products unused; sorry.

I second that very few companies are like Etymotic; research-first with a less/unbiased target, which yields products that last (product- or design-wise). Basically not supporting the rather pathetic "sell more, sell faster". Loyalty in such a case is (more) physics-based and supposedly may stand a test of time.

May 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #499 of 1,201

400!? I hope you own a store or so in audio, otherwise one could also see this as, ehm, slightly odd. Maybe you are a collector? I am quite biased, as an environmental scientist I don't like to see products unused; sorry.
Perhaps don't look into my forum profile then...:smirk:

Though I am pretty there are a few who own more head gears than me.

May 28, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #500 of 1,201
or the new SpinFit SP800 eartips, specific for Ety/Westone

Slightly off topic from the Evo, but just wanted to say thanks for pointing these out. Didn't realize they had a pair specific to etys. Picked up a couple pairs for my er2xr and comfort is hugely improved, to the point that these are much more usable. Now if only I could find a less microphonic cable!

Anyways, please resume normal Evo discussion.

May 28, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #501 of 1,201
All etys for me work with 3 flange stock ear tips only - this is the way to keep them firm inside and to get maximum isolation... :wink:
Tried many different options with them and always stayed with a 3 flange.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #503 of 1,201
How are these different from “old” Spinfit CP800? I bought a pair of CP800 two years ago, so are these different from those in some way?

The link he provided goes to the CP800 page. So I'm not actually sure.

May 28, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #504 of 1,201
How are these different from “old” Spinfit CP800? I bought a pair of CP800 two years ago, so are these different from those in some way?

Sorry, just a typo, meant to write CP800, all SpinFits are "CP". Thus, should be the same.

May 28, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #505 of 1,201
and for more clarification, here are a few pictures of SpinFit CP800 with ER4XR:

cp800_ety-ER4XR-01.jpg cp800_ety-ER4XR-02.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #507 of 1,201
Are you able to get as deep a fit as the triple/double flange? If not, do you feel it affects the sound at all?

I'm the wrong person to ask about ERxy fit :frowning2: As I mentioned before, the only reason I'm in this thread because I'm hoping that EVO will allow me to have a proper Ety fit in my ears without violating them lol!!!

This is how ER4XR looks in my ears, I literally have a sharp bend in my earcanal which doesn't allow it to go deeper, no matter what I tried.

cp800_ety-ER4XR-03.jpg

May 28, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #508 of 1,201
I too have a z bend in my canals that prevents me from using etys. I LOVE the tuning but cant use them sadly. The evo will likely have a similar problem.
I could say the Softears RSV is tuned like an ety on stereoids.. but 700 bux..

May 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #509 of 1,201
I too have a z bend in my canals that prevents me from using etys. I LOVE the tuning but cant use them sadly. The evo will likely have a similar problem.
I could say the Softears RSV is tuned like an ety on stereoids.. but 700 bux..

Of course, hard to tell without trying, but I don't think the EVO will have the same problem. Look at the picture shared before in this thread:

1622232262597.png

I have seen quite a few pictures from people with XRxy series in their ears where the whole bullet shell disappears inside their earcanal. Here, while nozzle length is the same, the rest of the EVO shell will stay outside in your outer ear, around your concha cavum area. So, I still have the hope :D

May 28, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #510 of 1,201
is just the kind of bass boost implementation and fun that I enjoy as well

I have a Buchardt A500, which anechoically is virtually flat from 25 - 1000 hz, and with the built-in room correction mostly flat (+- 3b) in my home. To me something like the ER-Z1R sounds more accurate than boosted, relative to this.

I do appreciate when bass is flat in a headphone/IEM application it gets out of the way of details in the upper band, but I think that's another thing than being technically accurate when we're talking about approximating flat in-room response. Of course what curve is going to be ideal from person to person will change based on anatomy, but being boosted down-low to a significant degree is a given IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back