Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 25, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #421 of 1,201
I bit on the EVO pre-sale.

ER4S was my first-ever premium in-ear headphone that I bought way back in my introduction into this hobby around 2007. I have been a die-hard fan since.

I doubt Etymotic will let me down, though $500 is a big price point to live up to!

May 25, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #422 of 1,201
No pressure, amirite? :ksc75smile:
It’s the other way around. The bar they have to step over is pretty low given how many multi-kilobuck flagship IEMs are pretentious without reaching their goal.

May 25, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #423 of 1,201
Could be worse; it could be like the Audeze iSine and Apple ADDIEM/EarPods cases that you had to wind in a very particular way to get it to fit.

Sennheiser IE 80 and IE 800 cases as well.

@EtyDave @Zachik

Is the carrying case's lid threaded or snap-on (I cannot clearly tell by the photos)? If the latter were the case, then I'd say that a threaded lid (plus simple rubber gasket) would've ultimately been more ideal in the long term (protection, durability) and more appropriate at the price point. However if the former were the case - well done.

May 25, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #424 of 1,201
I hope Etymōtic disrupts the industry with the EVO. It comes during a time when a hard reset is needed as more excessively priced in ear monitors enter the market with inexperienced engineering. I purchased the ER4 in 1993, ER4P/S in 2004, and ER4SR in 2017 and have yet to find anything as honest. Most of the new flagship in ear monitors belong in the dumpster.
This is why I'm tempted to get this if it embarrasses IEM's with 4 ~ 10 drivers the same way the Ety ER4S did. Nice that it has a long nozzle this time since the short ones were a joke to get a any decent fit.

May 25, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #425 of 1,201
May 25, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #427 of 1,201
Here is a side-by-side photo that shows the nozzles:
1621911692720.png

Is that the serial number on the nozzle?

May 25, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #429 of 1,201
The lid snap-on. No thread.

Thanks for your reply.

Too bad - given Etymotic's approach to perfection (except for minor things such as the newer ER series' lack of clearly distinguishable side indicators and the lack of a chin-slider on the older and discontinued ER-4S' cable) and professional audio orientation, I would have expected a threaded lid that would provide even more protection and convenience in a more careless roadie/tour environment. Maybe something that could be changed in the future. @EtyDave
Then again, it is at least nice to see that Etymotic didn't go for a very boutique- and premium-looking but less protective carrying case like it is unfortunately the trend with some companies (artificial fur on the inside that will just create more micro dust, lids that don't fully close and therefore allow moisture and dust to enter, "flaps" on the inside that look nice and keep the lid open when the case is opened up but drastically limit interior space, and other nonsense that I have seen over the years).

Sure, it's rather unlikely that a snap-on lid would fail over time (although I've had some very rare cases of cases whose lids were fitting just a bit too loosely and could theoretically pop open unintended), and my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s' case still does its job sublimely after all of those years, but nonetheless a threaded lead would have been one step closer to overall perfection.

May 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #430 of 1,201
Yeah - this thing is as thin as spider web! :scream:
Here is a photo side-by-side next to the ER2SE cable (which is the same cable for all ER2 and ER3 models):
1621908464111.png
Is tangling an issue? My BaX gets tangled very easily, but my Super BaX is essentially tangle-free. Mine are quite old so am not sure if there has been any update

May 25, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #431 of 1,201
May 25, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #432 of 1,201
May 25, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #433 of 1,201
Thanks for your reply.

Too bad - given Etymotic's approach to perfection (except for minor things such as the newer ER series' lack of clearly distinguishable side indicators and the lack of a chin-slider on the older and discontinued ER-4S' cable) and professional audio orientation, I would have expected a threaded lid that would provide even more protection and convenience in a more careless roadie/tour environment. Maybe something that could be changed in the future. @EtyDave
Then again, it is at least nice to see that Etymotic didn't go for a very boutique- and premium-looking but less protective carrying case like it is unfortunately the trend with some companies (artificial fur on the inside that will just create more micro dust, lids that don't fully close and therefore allow moisture and dust to enter, "flaps" on the inside that look nice and keep the lid open when the case is opened up but drastically limit interior space, and other nonsense that I have seen over the years).

Sure, it's rather unlikely that a snap-on lid would fail over time (although I've had some very rare cases of cases whose lids were fitting just a bit too loosely and could theoretically pop open unintended), and my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s' case still does its job sublimely after all of those years, but nonetheless a threaded lead would have been one step closer to overall perfection.

That's good feedback. I could see how a threaded lid could be preferred for some situations.

I'll be curious to see what people think of the case once they have it in hand.

May 25, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #434 of 1,201
they look very small, do you have a photo next to other earphones?
Let me go through my drawers, and see what other (non-Etymotic) IEMs I can find...

May 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #435 of 1,201
unlike ER series, EVO will come with 1 year warranty. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back